What are your favorite gadgets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I like that it's not thin,
Well , that's the way it started out . Got the shape cut and saw it was split on one side of the bowl . So I cut that off , flipped it up vertical and glued the 2 sides on . Kind of surprised me how nice it came out . Walnut makes anything look nice though . Thanks for the comment .

Beautiful work there, chop. Almost too nice to use...
Thank you sir . I might use it to dry measure my brine ingredients .

Pretty work Rich.

The Walnut looks real nice. I haven't made a ladle style spoon yet but have thought about it some.

That 4 sided rasp is a handy tool.

Nice sanding machine you've got there.

I use a variety of thickness rubber sanding blocks, (Differing thicknesses and flexibility), and sticky back sandpaper of varying grit.

20220207_190701.jpg

20220207_190816.jpg

The Walnut looks real nice. I haven't made a ladle style spoon yet but have thought about it some.
Yup . That started as a regular spoon , until I lost one side of it . I really like the way it turned out . I've got another one started .

I use a variety of thickness rubber sanding blocks, (Differing thicknesses and flexibility), and sticky back sandpaper of varying grit.
Did you buy those or make 'em ? I have some sponges , both those would work good .
Here's something I made up that works pretty good for stuff . Pretty messy though .
PVC pipe and test plugs from the plumbing dept . Glue the sanding drum paper on it . Use a drill and made a handle , or just use them by hand . Works great on radius work , or larger flats .
1644329007856.jpeg
Sets up in the drill press too .
1644329340594.jpeg
Also take a section of pipe that matches a sheet of sandpaper . Rip the pipe in half , and glue the paper inside , and outside . Works great if you have a known radius that matches the ID / OD of the pipe .

Reactions: one eyed jack
Yup . That started as a regular spoon , until I lost one side of it . I really like the way it turned out . I've got another one started .

Did you buy those or make 'em ? I have some sponges , both those would work good .
Here's something I made up that works pretty good for stuff . Pretty messy though .
PVC pipe and test plugs from the plumbing dept . Glue the sanding drum paper on it . Use a drill and made a handle , or just use them by hand . Works great on radius work , or larger flats .
View attachment 525086
Sets up in the drill press too .
View attachment 525087
Also take a section of pipe that matches a sheet of sandpaper . Rip the pipe in half , and glue the paper inside , and outside . Works great if you have a known radius that matches the ID / OD of the pipe .

The boat shop that I work at buys sheets of various thickness and density from McMaster Carr and we cut to suit.

https://www.mcmaster.com/rubber-sheets/material~silicone-rubber/

Click on any of the items in the page linked and it will give you a lot of options.

(If McMaster Carr doesn't have it, you don't need it).

I will give you more specifics on the ones I use, if you need or want.

Nice idea on the PVC for your sanding mandrels. We have several which are thick walled rubber tubes that we run lengths of all thread through with washers and nuts on each end, or long carriage bolts with washer and nut on one end.

I look forward to seeing your #2 spoon Rich. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

1. a non-contact IR thermometer. Good for measuring grill temps, and other hot areas inside. I like to use CI pans in cookers with pellets for a little extra smoke...best way to find that 450-500F surface temp you want.

2. A lowly 10" channel-locks. No end of hot and heavy things it can't handle.

3. A 2-foot length of steel rain gutter...great for adding charcoal, pellets, chunks, etc to an existing fire. Just load it up and tilt!

4. A clock, pen, and log book

5. Good shade in the day, good lighting at night. Can't beat a good headlamp.

Reactions: Sven Svensson
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky