What are you making for new years?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There is a small market nearby that usually has some great red potatoes so I've bookmarked this because it's going to happen....soon. What's the thoughts on sour cream? My family thinks you have to put it on all potatoes... :emoji_laughing: and I want them to be authentic...
I never did that with these. But, heck why not? They can put sour cream on theirs!

We end up doing a bunch of appetizers, son wants mozz sticks, wife loves brie, got her some yesterday. Not sure what else will be on the menu, maybe if I can find some pork belly, Ill make up some burnt ends. I know there will be other things, just not sure what else Ill be making.

Southern tradition of black eyed peas. I use ham, which satisfies the pork tradition. I will also do a cabbage dish with new potatoes and bacon, which satisfies the greens tradition.
Did you ever get transferred back to Texas?
Seafood. King crab, stone crab claws, lobster tails. Salt potatoes Maybe something with shrimp. Doubt it though, I have plans for shrimp creole for Saturday.
Break out the credit card for that one! Wish I could swing that. Going to be a good one.,

We traditionally make Rib Roast for every New Year's day. Got a boneless 6 pounder in the deep freeze. Gonna smoke it with Oak. The Mrs. usually makes her "Special" potatoes, and some veggies. Dessert probably Mrs. Smith's Apple Pie with ice cream. Hoping the New Year's Eve hangover isn't too bad, lol.

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
Did you ever get transferred back to Texas?
Not yet. We open a crew base at DFW in May. Will start searching sometime after that.

The wrinkle is now my company is doing well at Midway airport and rumors are flying, lol, that we may open that up. With my daughter being in 7th grade and not wanting to move, well...we'll just see what happens with that.

Thank you for asking!

Interesting to see the different foods by region of the country. Eat on!

I am a Colorado Hillbilly but I still make black eyed peas and ham hocks every year.
My Dad grew up in Maryland so this tradition lives on.
I use extra hocks for the broth and use that in both the pea's (beans!) and the collard and mustard greens.
Protein is still up in the air, fortunate to have multiple choices.
Happy New Year Y'all!

Reactions: Rafter H BBQ
We will likely just keep it a bit on the simple side this year! The plan as of now is apps…ABT’s, ready to eat shrimp and a tray of Elk Salami with a variety of cheese and crackers!

Dinner…smoked Prime Rib, smoked Elk Tenderloin Roast, whole russet butter and garlic CI taters and a salad… still pondering what type…

And of coarse a beverage or two! 😉

We will likely just keep it a bit on the simple side this year! The plan as of now is apps…ABT’s, ready to eat shrimp and a tray of Elk Salami with a variety of cheese and crackers!

Dinner…smoked Prime Rib, smoked Elk Tenderloin Roast, whole russet butter and garlic CI taters and a salad… still pondering what type…

And of coarse a beverage or two! 😉
I'm calling in sick and going to Justins house!
jim

I am a Colorado Hillbilly but I still make black eyed peas and ham hocks every year.
My Dad grew up in Maryland so this tradition lives on.
I use extra hocks for the broth and use that in both the pea's (beans!) and the collard and mustard greens.
Protein is still up in the air, fortunate to have multiple choices.
Happy New Year Y'all!
If you're having beans, the protein will certainly be in the air, if you know what I mean. It certainly will from my chair. Ha!

We're still uncertain about New Year's Eve. but on New Year's day it will be our traditional black eyed pea jambalaya served with sauteed escarole.

We always seem do Corned Beef and Cabbage for New Year's day.
It's a little too salty for the Mrs. low sodium diet but she needs a treat/cheat now and then. They used to have sales at the groceries on Corned Beef at New Year but not so much any more. If they do I'll pick up an extra one for Pastrami. I'll find out Saturday..
New Year's Eve will be cleaning up the leftovers in the fridge.

It's a regional NY thing. Love em!
Steve you ever make salt and vinegar potatoes , you basically cook the potatoes the same way with the salt then put them on a metal tray and smash them flat with the bottom of a glass or something, put them under the broiler until they are crisp pull them out and drizzle a little vinegar on them.

Reactions: Steve H
The way the wife and I are feeling, probably a can of Campbells chicken noodle soup.

Chris

Steve you ever make salt and vinegar potatoes , you basically cook the potatoes the same way with the salt then put them on a metal tray and smash them flat with the bottom of a glass or something, put them under the broiler until they are crisp pull them out and drizzle a little vinegar on them.
No, never have. I could see where that would work great with malt vinegar. Most definitely keeping this in mind. Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky