Was a Good Sunday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nitty

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2020
Yesterday was a good day. Since it's getting cold and I also get very busy with work over the winter I decided to smoke a pork loin for lunch and a deer hind quarter for supper. Have another warm up meal of each this week and freeze the left to get out over the winter when I don't have as much time to smoke. Both turned out really well. The pork was not dry and was very tender but I might inject next time since I've never done that before. Pork loins are so quick and easy. The deer hind quarter was a first for me. Had no idea how it would turn out but one of the best things I've ever smoked.

Pork loin. Butt Rub seasoning overnight left uncovered. Smoked at 225 for 3 hours to 150 and let rest under foil tent for 45 minutes. Lighting isn't the best in my kitchen but there is a good smoke ring on the non-fat side. I didn't want it to dry out so I left the fat on but next time I think I will trim it off.

PGONP56.jpg
ohL2hNF.jpg

Deer hind quarter. Trimmed entire outside. Brine was 1 gallon water, 1 cup kosher salt, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp red pepper flakes. Injected a lot and left in brine for 24 hours. I ran out of salt and brown sugar so I couldn't quite cover it but should have. Remove from brine and pat dry. Rest for an hour. Put a layer of lard on (this might be the key with it being lean deer meat) and heavily coat with Kansas City BBQ seasoning. Put in smoker at 225. This was only a 5 1/2 lb hind quarter with the bone in. I figured 8 hours at 225 to get to 150 but after 2 hours I was already at 140 and was not near ready to eat yet so I turned it back to 180 and let it ride out another 2 hours to 150. Put under foil tent for another hour. This thing turned out ridiculous. I was worried about it turning out dry and/or tough but it melts in your mouth.

uDD8AO1.jpg
EkFvgap.jpg
MLCrFTW.jpg
Hu91F6P.jpg
xrcgWcw.jpg
QDO4as2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky