Vertical cabinet modifications

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chp

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 30, 2020
Colorado
I’m trying to decide how best to modify my vertical cabinet to a reverse flow. I have spent some time with the calculator, so let me start with those numbers
CC 19x18x16 =5472
FB 10x18x16 =2880

that means
FB inlet 5.5
FB/CC opening 21.9
Exhaust 120 (volume not area)

the inlet is a 2” pipe, so about 12.5 which is well above 5.5. It’s currently not split to give a high and low option.

Now it gets more challenging. The best option seems to be exhausting from the FB to within a few a few inches of the top on one side and dropping the exhaust to within a couple inches of the bottom on the other side. I have a 1” x15” area to fabricate those chases.
So, are those chases large enough? The calculator looks at just an area for the FB/CC opening. I have 15 versus 21.9, but it is not just an opening, it is a chase that is hot, so I would think it would draft and be enough. Thoughts?
Looking at the chase on the other side, it would be 1x15x15. I am saying the height is 15 of the overall 18” height. So that gives an area of 225 as compared to 120, so that is big enough to draft? Thoughts?
I have seen Daveomak’s design that puts those chases on the back wall, but my cabinet has room (unused space) on the sides and not the back. I’m trying to use the same concept. Let me know if you think it might work.
The only other approach I am considering is ‘reversing’ the flow side to side instead of up and down. I guess it would be more like a horizontal reverse flow. I would exhaust out the top of the FB on the sides, then add two baffles. The first about in the center of the CC that just had an opening in the center. The second would pull the smoke back to the sides just below the exhaust at the top of the CC. That cuts up an already small CC, so not sure if that makes sense.
Here is a picture of the CC...hopefully my rambling makes some sense.
19B4E2C9-551C-4B98-9B01-C8C0BF4CC57D.jpeg

Thanks for any suggestions.

I have a vertical smoker and interested in your approach. I will post photos of mine when I return home.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky