Venison+moose+pork=garlic coil

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rca dog

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Campbell River, BC
I think "garlic coil" is a Canadian term for what Americans call "ring bologna"  I'm not 100% sure about this though.  Anyway, my plan tomorrow is to try to make this "garlic coil".  I have 2 lbs ground pork (not sure the fat content, long story), 4 lbs ground moose with approx. 10% beef fat, and 4 lbs ground venison with basically 0% fat.  I have pure pork back fat on hand, in 1 lb packs, so if anyone thinks I should add some, I can.

Hopefully, someone on here has some kind of a recipe for what I'm trying to do, otherwise I'll just make it up as I go along,while sticking with the basics.  I want to smoke these, so for 10 lbs of meat, 2 level teaspoons of prague powder #1 will be used.  I think I will want a binder of some sort, so I think I will use 1 cup of NFDMP.  Obviously I want some garlic flavour in there, so maybe 6 tablespoons of garlic powder, or I also have some fresh garlic I could crush, or mince, or puree, or whatever.  Maybe some pepper ? A couple tablespoons of CBP sounds good to me.  Onion powder perhaps, maybe some parsley ?

Anyway, if anyone has any input, I'd be happy to hear it.  Otherwise, you all will have some Q-view coming at you tomorrow AM, and into Monday, as I will have to let the cure work overnight.

RCAD, I know I'm kinda late to the party here but a pound of pork fat to your four pounds of venison would help !

Just missed it lol.  I just finished stuffing.  As I mentioned, I don't know what the fat ratio in the ground pork is, but judging by how white it is, I'd say there's got to be 20-25 % in there.  I agree, the mixture might be a little on the lean side, but we will see what happens.  Just uploading the pictures to photo bucket now, so the Q-view will be up to date.

So here's the recipe I settled on:

2 lbs fine ground pork - unknown fat content

4 lbs fine ground moose - approx 10% beef fat

4 lbs fine ground venison - approx 0% fat content

2 tsp (10 g) prague powder #1 

50 g Garlic Powder

25 g Coarse Ground Black Pepper

10 g Ground Paprika

10 g Onion Powder

1 cup Non Fat Dry Milk Powder

2 cups cold water

All measured out

The Pork

The Moose

The Venison

Getting all mixed up

Sorry no pics of stuffing,I was doing this single handed today.

Stuffed and ready for the smoker tomorrow

We'll see what happens !

So here it is.  I will be modifying this recipe, it is a bit on the dry side, and it needs some salt.  As per Crazymoon's suggestion, I will be adding 1 lb of pure pork fat, and probably 80 grams kosher salt to the next ten lbs I try.  The flavour is good, just lacking some salt.  

Live and learn !  We will use this in some dishes that have their own salt and moisture, so it's not like it's going to waste.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky