Venison and CWD

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Florida Chris

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 22, 2023
So I saw an article today on CWD in whitetail and it's relation to Sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD).

AKA Mad Cow Disease transfer to humans.

It seems two hunters from the same deer camp were afflicted. With the rates of CJD being so extremely low, it appears the common denominator between the two may be deer infected with CWD. The article makes it sound like the herd was a known carrier for a few years.

I hunt mid Michigan (Ionia County). There's been outbreaks. I even declined hunting for two years because it became so prevalent that the herd was basically decimated in numbers.

Back then we would get the deer tested thru the state. I don't recall any hunter's cull testing positive back then, so all meat was kept and consumed. Now they no longer require testing but I think it's still optional.

For the hunters on here, what's your take on it? Do you test? Any concerns? I got a nice 10pt this year that I didn't have tested. Mainly because they used to take the whole head and I wanted the rack. They may have different testing methods now but I didn't ask at the time.

I'd like to post the Yahoo News link on here but I know that's frowned upon on this site. If you want to see it, search "CWD deaths Yahoo". It came right to the top for me. If I get approval from a MOD to post it I will.

Reactions: JLinza
We have cwd here in Pa. So I test the venison we harvest? No we don't. They say that the deer will be acting weird , they all act normal here in my area. CWD hasn't been contagious to humans until a dairy cow some how got it then 2 milkers for it. No one knows how

Reactions: Fueling Around
They say that the deer will be acting weird , they all act normal here in my area.
When it hit MI hard the deer we were hunting seemed fine during the season. My buddy lives on 100 acres we hunt and during the summer he would find them dead. Lots of times in or near one of his creeks. Nothing on his property tested positive but some local to other properties did. They may have been on properties that feed/bait, which is now illegal because that seems to spread the disease.

I don't want to give up my hunting and delicious venison, but if this starts spreading to people more I'm done. I'll go up just for the time with the guys after that.

Last edited:
There are probably 20 GMU's that are mandatory test if you hunt that area here in Colorado now. They say 40 of our 54 deer herds, 17 of 42 elk herds, and 2 of 9 moose herds. Are at risk for CWD now. I remember as a kid there was like 2 elk herds north of Denver that had it. So it's gotten much worse here.

• Sad
Reactions: Florida Chris
PETA spreading lies..
There may be some PETA friendly states willing to spend millions of $$ for their cause, but most hunter friendly states will not. And it's been found over a large swath of the country now.

There are probably 20 GMU's that are mandatory test if you hunt that area here in Colorado now. They say 40 of our 54 deer herds, 17 of 42 elk herds, and 2 of 9 moose herds. Are at risk for CWD now. I remember as a kid there was like 2 elk herds north of Denver that had it. So it's gotten much worse here.
My fear is that it will turn into a vicious cycle.

CWD will deter hunters. Why spend the time and money if you can't eat it?

No hunters means more animals to spread the disease.

CWD is primarily confined to the brain and spinal column and meat outside of that region is safe to eat? I have no clue
Hunt in Minnesota and it is slowly spreading across the state. Last confirmed was lower NW Minnesota in the Climax (yes that is a town) area.

CWD is primarily confined to the brain and spinal column and meat outside of that region is safe to eat? I have no clue
Hunt in Minnesota and it is slowly spreading across the state. Last confirmed was lower NW Minnesota in the Climax (yes that is a town) area.

PA has a town called intercourse. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: TNJAKE
Much higher percentage of people get sick from salmonella and e.colli because poor hygiene in processing fruits, vegetables, and meats than eating wild game. Experts say if a deer is infected with CWD there is no doubt about it and it’s pretty nasty. EHD and blue tongue are also hard on white tails. I’m not saying CWD is a good thing (in fact it’s a terrible thing) but it’s here to stay and we will need to live with it potentially infecting animals. WY has been managing it for years. I’ll take my chances on eating an animal that I killed and processed myself rather than a head of lettuce that was irrigated with manure water or the human strawberry picker that didn’t wash his hands after he crapped in the porta potty on the edge of the field.

If it's the same as Mad Cow (which it seems to be) then that is the consensus. Mainly contained to the nerve regions. But if the article I read is accurate, how did two guys from the same deer camp come down with it? First thing that comes to mind is neck roasts without the spinal column removed, but just speculating at this point.

Much higher percentage of people get sick from salmonella and e.colli because poor hygiene in processing fruits, vegetables, and meats than eating wild game. Experts say if a deer is infected with CWD there is no doubt about it and it’s pretty nasty. EHD and blue tongue are also hard on white tails. I’m not saying CWD is a good thing (in fact it’s a terrible thing) but it’s here to stay and we will need to live with it potentially infecting animals. WY has been managing it for years. I’ll take my chances on eating an animal that I killed and processed myself rather than a head of lettuce that was irrigated with manure water or the human strawberry picker that didn’t wash his hands after he crapped in the porta potty on the edge of the field.

I agree. Them grocery store bagged salads will kill you quicker than most things on this planet. Up until this past year we always processed our kills, and half the morning before processing is cleaning / sterilizing tables and equipment. But this past year the temps were just too warm for us to hang them so the deer went to a local processor. We were actually happy with them since they labeled and weighed each package, which we've never seen in that area before.

I've been trying to talk my buddy into converting part of his barn into a walk-in cooler for hanging, so this might be the tipping point to keep everything under our control.

Reactions: Nodak21
When it hit MI hard the deer we were hunting seemed fine during the season. My buddy lives on 100 acres we hunt and during the summer he would find them dead. Lots of times in or near one of his creeks. Nothing on his property tested positive but some local to other properties did. They may have been on properties that feed/bait, which is now illegal because that seems to spread the disease.

I don't want to give up my hunting and delicious venison, but if this starts spreading to people more I'm done. I'll go up just for the time with the guys after that.
EHD causes the deer to run a fever and will often be found dead in or near water, if a deer survives it their hooves will sloth off, CWD have different symptoms. I killed a buck a few years ago that had EHD but survived, not eating any deer that tests positive for CWD. no way to test humans that I have read about until they die, lot of BS flying around about it, monkeys fed meat infected with it developed CWD, not sure of the rate but when it gets here where I live and hunt I will be done hunting, I won't kill a deer just for a set of horns, meat is #1 priority and if it has horns that's great if not they eat just as good.

Reactions: chopsaw
use common sense and have your deer tested.
That and listen to the Conservation dept or fish and game from your state .

They will tell you to process in the county it was taken , leave the remains in that county . Don't eat or transport the organs , don't cut the spine .
Doesn't take but a few people to ignore that and it spreads to other areas .

Same with free choice feeders . It's like you and 10 of you neighbors all licking the same ice cream cone at the same time .

Reactions: jcam222
EHD causes the deer to run a fever and will often be found dead in or near water...........

I won't kill a deer just for a set of horns, meat is #1 priority and if it has horns that's great if not they eat just as good.

Yes, my bad. It was EHD that I was thinking about with the water deaths. I guess they over-heat??

As far as the horns, I'm with you. I've hunted on and off since I was 15 (37 years ago!). I've been hunting this Michigan property since 2011, every year except the 2 I took off due to the diseases.

When I started hunting that property my buddies dad told me to make sure of my shot placement, and make sure the deer was worth it. I hunted 10 years before my first shot. Saw probably 100+ deer in that time. Finally when I turned 50 I said I was getting a deer that year. First shot, first kill, a nice sized doe. I waited that long because doe are just so hard for me to determine size! Horns help with that.

Fast forward to this past year and we all decided it was time to cull more doe. There were some very nice bucks on cams, but doe were the target. Opening day two fat girls come walking thru. As I'm aiming big boy came in from the rear.

I had to! Pappy told me to make sure the deer was worth it!!! This one was worth it. Biggest deer taken on the property in the 45 years they've owned it. Scored out at 137.25 and won me my meat grinder in the town's Buck Pole competition.

1713572794058.png

And even though I don't want to be a rack hunter, I had to keep this one.

1713572926051.png

I passed up a fat 8pt after I got this one. Told my buddy I was done with bucks unless they were bigger than the first one. The 8 probably had a bigger body and more uniform rack than my 10.

I made Pappy proud. Going forward I'm all about proper management vs. trophies.

Nice buck .

Going forward I'm all about proper management vs. trophies.
That's what I miss the most about it . Got invited to hunt at a buddies place . 100 acres 6 guys total . First day it the woods I saw 6 opening morning , but no shot . After that nothing . 2 years in a row nobody was taking any off this place , and came to find out that's how it was .

So I bought a feeder . Fenced in a feed station because they run cattle on the property .
Hung a camera . Cleared some brush .
Took about 2 months before I got any pics , but after that it was on .
Feeding Purina antlermax until the acorns dropped , and then again after the season for the Doe's to stay healthy .

I took a deer every year after that . Very selective though . If it was a Mom and her " kids " they got a pass most of the time , but not always .
Shot mostly single does of size , and a couple decent bucks .
I put enough time in that corner , I new exactly when they were gonna be there . I used to sit in my stand in the summer months and just watch . Plus the feeder times establish a pattern .

I really miss that part of it . I mean heck , you recognize the individuals , especially the bucks .
Seeing them on the camera , then in person .
Oh well .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky