Using different peppercorns/chiles in rubs -- where to start?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

humanbean

Original poster
Feb 7, 2022
Hi there. So I've been going down the rabbit hole of creating my own rubs/seasonings, and wanted to try different peppers/chiles. Using say gochugaru and szechuan peppercorns in a cajun-like rub for some sort of hybrid seasoning for example. I personally haven't tried most of these, but have any of you had success with things like:

- maras biber (aka marash/urfa marash?)
- aleppo/halaby pepper
- alligator/melegueta pepper aka grains of paradise
- gochugaru (sun-dried?)
- szechuan/pink/green peppercorns
- Indian Long Pepper
- dehydrated and ground veggies?

Appreciate the help!

Hi there and welcome!

I have not tried those or done much of what you are wanting to do.

HOWEVER, I have smoked and dehydraed Jalapenos, Chiletepin, andChile Pequins to grind into powders. I didn't mix them I just kept them separate and season with them as needed or desired.

A secret of my steak/chop seasoning is to put a little Cayenne pepper on the meat. Not for heat but for flavor. I also sub out Kashmiri Red Pepper powder too which I love.
Both are similar in the fact that they have great flavor for this without a crazy amount of heat unless you pile on the powder. A little bit gives good flavor without much if any heat.

I would suggest you take a similar approach at first while you are experimenting.
Keep each separate and mix and match to try out flavors/seasonings/rubs.
Then when you land on something you love you can mix it all up in a big shaker.
You also have the flexibility of just adding any one of those to a dish at any time. Win-win.

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: humanbean
Wow! You are in the rabbit hole! I’ve never heard of most of those🤣 Really cool ideas though! I’m interested to see how the experiments go!

Impressive list.
Good luck.
Some flavors are not compatible and mostly personal taste. That is something you have to learn by trial and error. Sorry, no cookbook
I use very little hot spices in my rubs outside of jerk seasoning.

Hi there. So I've been going down the rabbit hole of creating my own rubs/seasonings, and wanted to try different peppers/chiles. Using say gochugaru and szechuan peppercorns in a cajun-like rub for some sort of hybrid seasoning for example. I personally haven't tried most of these, but have any of you had success with things like:

- maras biber (aka marash/urfa marash?)
- aleppo/halaby pepper
- alligator/melegueta pepper aka grains of paradise
- gochugaru (sun-dried?)
- szechuan/pink/green peppercorns
- Indian Long Pepper
- dehydrated and ground veggies?

Appreciate the help!
I just randomly red in “Smoke Lore” that Heirloom Market BBQ uses gochugaru peppers in their kimchi sauce that also has a ton of sugar. They use the Kimchi sauce in their Slaw to top traditional pulled pork sandwiches. Sounds pretty tasty to me! It got me thinking that if you are looking to experiment with these a traditional recipe with the peppers in them may give you other seasonings and proteins to start from. Then you can build from there?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky