Using buttermilk powder for tang in smoked sausages??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hazer67

Original poster
Aug 10, 2021
I see several people using buttermilk powder to get "tang" in the summer sausage and snack sticks and had a few questions. What ratio do you use, how much would you add to a 5 # batch? Does this really impart a noticeable "tang" to the product? I've tried using it years ago but I felt it really didn't make a noticeable difference.....maybe I just didn't add enough?? Thanks in advance!

I tried Saco and was not impressed at all and I was only shooting for a mild tang. I don't recall the amount used but pretty sure it was near or at the max recommended. ECA is an option but have not tried it. I plan to experiment with real buttermilk and dextrose on next run.

Reactions: chopsaw and Hazer67
I tried Saco and was not impressed at all and I was only shooting for a mild tang. I don't recall the amount used but pretty sure it was near or at the max recommended. ECA is an option but have not tried it. I plan to experiment with real buttermilk and dextrose on next run.
I tried real buttermilk as well with the same not so desirable results....

Reactions: zwiller
I've used Fermento , and didn't notice a difference either . I get better results letting it hang a couple days to further dry out . Temps below 60 degrees . I also like to wrap in pink butcher paper and hold in a 36 degree fridge for a week or so .
Reminds me , I have some chorizo sticks in there . Better go check .

Reactions: zwiller
I tried real buttermilk as well with the same not so desirable results....
Thanks for that. I did not know that for sure but guessed it would be that way. I plan to add .5% of meat weight of dextrose (corn sugar) and actually ferment with the buttermilk. Hoping I can get away with an overnight ferment with such a small amount. Haven't done it before tho. Lots of guys are fans of ECA but does not work well for my process since it is recommended to smoke or cook immediately and I never do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky