Undecided

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lemans

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 29, 2013
Jackson New Jersey
My family and friends are are pushing me to enter a smoking competition . I am so undecided .. I know how to cook the four categories . Brisket, ribs, shoulder and chicken. But the entire process looks complicated and pretty expensive. But I love a challenge .. I was looking at the KCBS wildwood New Jersey this summer. It's $275
Just to put in a entrance form so maybe I will be chosen for the 11 open spots then buying the meat $150 -200 brisket. Renting trailer hotel room . Could be a $2000 weekend
It's not that I am a newbe but it's a daunting
Undertaking..
What do you guys think? Am I aiming too high? Start smaller?

I would attend a competition and get an opportunity to talk with other teams. Many of them are more than willing to share information. Then I would take a KCBS judging class and actually judge a contest locally. This will give you a very good idea on (1) what the judges are looking for and (2) see what equipment is required to compete. I don't know of too many teams that stay in a hotel, they all have motor homes, trailers and even tents they sleep in on site. But you are right, it isn't cheap

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky