UltraQ is in the house!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inscrutable

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 4, 2019
NC
Wasn’t sure whether to post here or in the thermometers section ... mods feel free to move

Just received the new UltraQ controller to go on my BGE.
Hoping the damn rain stops some day so we can take it on its maiden voyage.

Probably will do something forgiving/sacrificial to start ... a butt, Whole chicken, ... will see what’s been in the freezer a while.
Will be monitoring with my Inkbird.

Stay tuned.

Looking forward to the review. Thinking of adding some kind of controller to my Vision Kamado for smaller cooks.

Ok, so life and weather gets in the way of my plans .... but finally got a chance to try it out.

Didnt have time for a long cook, so grabbed a few CSRs ... Coated with Red Hot & Blue rub ... loaded Egg about halfway with RO lump and mixed in some apple chunks. One paraffin fire starter and off it goes.

Started with viper fan not mounted, intake and vent cap wide open. Seemed to have a little trouble getting going, added another paraffin cube. Think I will start with a few hot coals next time.

Worked like a champ, but a little pilot training needed on the fly, but once the egg warmed up a little it was holding my 240 set point within a range of 5 degrees (usually within 1 ... think catching the wood chunks made it fluctuate a bit more) for about 4 hours. Will be trying a longer cook when the weather improves.

Lookedgood at 180 IT (Pic) but not tenderized enough yet, and we were going for a golf cart / booze cruise, socovered in a foil pan with a little Apple juice, reduced set point to 230, and took it to 198. Have great pulled pork texture now.

In all the other confusion Here, didn’t get a lot of pics, (This one was at 181 when I put in pan) ... will do better next time.
13BDE731-80E7-4EA1-ACA2-D087E0120D2A.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky