UDS temp setting???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoknrookie

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 6, 2008
This past week at work me and the guys that work with me in my shop got kind of bored so we decided to put some of our empty parts barrels to good use. We got our cooker finished and I took it home for the seasoning process and decided to give a test run today while I was setting up my little boys inflatable pool. I had no problem with getting lit or getting it up to temp, but it was keeping it a certain temp that was giving me a royal head-ache.. It wanted to keep heading for the high side of the 300 mark, I would play with valve and aeven cover something on top of the stack and then before I knew it, it would be dropping big time. Even though I had to play with the temp every so often the meat still turned out awesome, we had two chickens and half of a pork loin. The details of the cooker :has two 1/2" pipe nipples and one 1/2" air valve for the intake, it also has a piece of 3" exhaust pipe about 16"s tall for the stack.. I will try to post some pics once I figue out how to do it on this site.. If anyone could give me some advice on how to get a steady temp out of this unit I would greatly appreciate it...

bbq bubba should be around sometime.........he knows his uds's.......richtee also.......but both are offline atm........but hang in there, you WILL get a answer

Without pics.....
Intake is o.k. but exhaust is too big, max 2" with small intake,
Exhaust is WAY to tall.....shorten it to about 8" max and you'll run about 240*.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info... So what if I make the intakes 3/4 pipe nippels and change the air valve also to a 3/4" valve then would the 3" pipe work better?? I understand that shortening the stack will help keep it from drawing so much .(right???) I will try to get some pics posted ASAP..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky