Two phase cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Maybe so. I missed the part where he said it was cross cut. I was speaking to a whole shank
Even so, thinking ahead and throwing an extra piece of meat on to get a little smoke for another cook later, and taking it to a safe temp is perfectly fine. It will have more flavor than not, and safety wise it’s no problem.
I do also see your point and it’s valid, but his idea will work just fine.

Maybe he's going to chop it that's what I personally would do. Would make it easier and give more of a cubed piece of meat than a longer thinner one.
Yes, I cut it into 1 in cubes and made chili with it. Haven't eaten it yet but smells awesome.

Reactions: TNJAKE
If this was my undertaking. I think I would go ahead and smoke the shank for 3, 4, 5 or 6 hrs. However long your smoker is running for the other meat. Then refrigerate or freeze the shank depending on when I was making the chili. When I fired up the chili pot I would toss the uncut shank in the pot of chili and let it cook whole for the duration of the chili cooking process. By the time the chili is ready to serve the shank should be FOTB ready. Separate the meat from the bone and remove the bone(s) from the pot. Serve and enjoy. I'm not sure how smokey a flavor your gonna get with the meat smothered in chili sauce and seasoning but it should still be good and tender.

Chris

Edit: you'll also get the flavor from the bone this way.
The other meat smoked for 3 hours so, that's how long this smoked for. It was the last night of Hanukkah so I had other things to tend to, and it was dark, 7:00pm and cold, 34 degrees, so I just wanted to go inside, have a glass of wine, and warm my toes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky