Thanksgiving Turkey Gravy, Homemade

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I love an awesome meat gravy, poultry, beef or pork.
But a great Thanksgiving turkey gravy holds a special place in my heart.
The rich and savory, silky smooth deliciousness of a superb homemade turkey gravy exponentially adds to the meal, and can save all but the driest bird.
It compliments so many other sides too.
And when well made, no store bought gravy can compare.

So today I'd like to pay homage to the art of making homemade turkey gravy by sharing my recipe and method.
It's really no big secret, millions in the know make it this way.

Step 1.
Take the giblets, neck, gizzard, heart and liver, chop them, and the Back too if you're spatchcocking, into large chunks.
Place in large, deep skillet, add some sprigs of fresh rosemary, thyme and a bay leaf, and brown well.
I add a little bacon grease or butter.

100_9279_zps2xsx8rgo (1).jpg

Step 2.
Remove the heart and liver, and snack on them.
Chop some onion, carrot and celery.
Add to the giblets and cook till tender.

100_9280_zpsje0ngzhn.jpg

Step 3.
Add in as much chicken or poultry broth as needed to cover, approx 4-5 cups.
I add 1t Soy, 1t Fish and 1T Worcestershire sauces to mine.
Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.

100_9281_zpsrxtrtzze (1).jpg

Step 4.
Strain liquid into sauce pan and keep hot.

100_9290_zpsepi25gvy (1).jpg

Step 5.
Snack on all the meat and veggies.
Or for a real Giblet Gravy, shred and chop meats then add into gravy.
Make a roux of equal parts flour and butter, 4T of each.
Cook roux over low heat to desired color, a light brown (peanut butter) is about right for my tastes.
Be sure to stir often while cooking.

100_9284_zps5x2ybofv (1).jpg

Step 6.
Add about half a cup of liquid at a time and whisk well to prevent clumps.
Repeat until all roux is well incorporated and then add remaining liquid.
Bring to rolling boil while whisking constantly, lower to a slow boil and continue stirring until it thickens.
Salt and pepper to taste.
Serve while still hot!

100_9292_zpsx5ymowft (1).jpg

Last edited:
Looks like my wifes recipe, good to know we're not to the only ones doing it this way.

Chris

Preach on brother but i fine chop the meat and boil eggs ,slice the eggs and remove yoke or not and add to gravey, have been looking for a fresh turkey for a month or 2 and wife just dont understond ya dont have to eat turkey just once a year

Almost the same here but I use corn starch for thickening. Most all the time use corn starch when making gravies.

Warren

If you haven't had a chance, give potato starch a try instead of corn. IMO, it gives a better mouth feel, less starchy flavors and thickens at lower temps. It's not as robust as other starches so add it towards the end of cooking.

Reactions: zwiller
Good recipe Chile. (Just had your namesake for dinner LOL)

I was in the grocery store today and saw bottles of turkey gravy. Wow, I thought. Never saw that, Never heard of it already made. Personally wouldn't think of buying gravy!

All this instant gratification stuff doesn't work for my taste buds/stomach.

Nice take on turkey gravy Chile. Totally agree on the umami boosters!

Since it was brought up, MIL ran Yacht Club, Lodge, and School kitchens and converted us to jar... :eek: Heinz (Ohio) makes one and honestly, you better have brought your A game to beat it. Chile's might but the folks using drippings and starch (and customary secret ingredient) don't stand a chance. http://www.heinz.com/product/00013000799102

My Dad's family would scoff at gravy in a jar but make Stove Top... :rolleyes: MILs dressing was scratch and the star of the show.

Outstanding write-up Chile! Learning to making good gravy takes lots of practice. You obviously got it down sir!

My favorite breakfast and that I would ask for as a kid was biscuits and gravy. I remember watching my mother make it and asking lots of questions and then wanting to help and so on. Learning to make gravy from mom was probably the first and most powerful thing that inspired my interest in cooking. Thank you for the flashback.

So today in preparation for tomorrow, Thanksgiving, I made Chile's giblet gravy...exactly like his recipe right down to the fish sauce which I just happen to have...
Just a couple of pics from along the way...
20231122_112415[1].jpg

20231122_113521[1].jpg

20231122_132437[1].jpg

And yes, we like the giblets in the gravy. Also, I picked as much meat from the necks as I could to add. For those who may make this, I used low sodium chicken broth and did not need to add any salt to the final product, just pepper...

Hey John, chilerelleno chilerelleno , look familiar? Great gravy and thanks for the how-to...

So today in preparation for tomorrow, Thanksgiving, I made Chile's giblet gravy...exactly like his recipe right down to the fish sauce which I just happen to have...
Just a couple of pics from along the way...
View attachment 681613
View attachment 681614
View attachment 681615
And yes, we like the giblets in the gravy. Also, I picked as much meat from the necks as I could to add. For those who may make this, I used low sodium chicken broth and did not need to add any salt to the final product, just pepper...

Hey John, chilerelleno chilerelleno , look familiar? Great gravy and thanks for the how-to...
Looks Delicious! All Aboard, for the Gravy Train! :emoji_train2:

Same general technique my mom used. Spices differed, of course. No Fish sauce or soy sauce. Sounds good though. Thanks for sharing

Reactions: chilerelleno
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky