Trussing a thin brisket flat to even out the cook time.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Coreymacc

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Alberta,ca
Didn't see any specific details about this method in the search so here goes.

Doing a brisket this weekend and the flat is pretty thin, 1" barely, and the point is pretty thick. Ive heard trussing the flat to pull it together and plump it up will help keep it from cooking faster than the point.

Trying to not dry the flat out before the point is done.

Anybody done this? I don't really want to separate this brisket.

Thanks
Corey

I've done it before on a brisket with a super thin corner on the flat...it works.
Thats my issue exactly, the corner is very thin. I was going to just trim it off but its pretty large and seems like it would be a real waste of good meat.

Corey

Well, its not perfect but its actually about the same thickness throughout now. Gonna SPOG and into the fridge, going on tommorow.

Thanks for the words of wisdom !

Corey

20220728_151918.jpg

Last edited:
Update. The trussing of the flat worked excellent. Brisket turned out almost perfect. Tender and juicy. My smoke ring was a bit weak and my bark was light, but its a pellet smoker, minor. I wrapped at 160deg, I may go higher to get a deeper ring,and bark. Bonus was a map to cut the flat properly.

Thanks again for the advice everyone.
Corey
9030_edited.jpg

Sure figured that out well, great job! Looks really good!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky