Trouble with PitBoss Savannah

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBCWCHS06

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Finally made my decision on a new smoker. Was browsing through Walmart and saw the PitBoss Savannah on the shelf and looked like it was exactly what I was looking for. It's huge and can't wait to use it. But had some trouble I spent 2 hours attempting to put it together and didn't get anywhere. It seemed like every hole didn't line up. I attempted to follow the instructions and couldn't get the tray on the bottom to line up. Then attempted to put the whole bottom together and then attach it to the cooking chamber and once again couldn't get anything to line up. Is this a normal problem with this model or was I just doing something wrong with it. Safe to say a super frustrating night with nothing accomplished besides scratching it up a bit trying to force stuff to lineup

I have zero experience with Pit Boss but in my opinion if the holes are not lining up to the point you can't get the bolts through then it's time to back up 10 yards and punt. Return it and continue your search for what you want.

Reactions: JBCWCHS06
Get each leg on leaving the bolts loose then the bottom shelf followed by the wheels. There's front and back left and right legs. They were marked on my PB1150. Once bottom assembled set upright on level ground the tighten all the bottom bolts. I tightened all mine before I turned it upright. Just to have to loosen them to stop it from teetering. Then put everything else together. You'll need some help as some parts you cain't reach to start the nut on bolts

Finally made my decision on a new smoker. Was browsing through Walmart and saw the PitBoss Savannah on the shelf and looked like it was exactly what I was looking for. It's huge and can't wait to use it. But had some trouble I spent 2 hours attempting to put it together and didn't get anywhere. It seemed like every hole didn't line up. I attempted to follow the instructions and couldn't get the tray on the bottom to line up. Then attempted to put the whole bottom together and then attach it to the cooking chamber and once again couldn't get anything to line up. Is this a normal problem with this model or was I just doing something wrong with it. Safe to say a super frustrating night with nothing accomplished besides scratching it up a bit trying to force stuff to lineup
I purchased a Savannah a few weeks ago. I had to get my son's help getting the bottom shelf/legs together. If my arms were a few feet longer it would have been easier. Also, one of the screw inserts was loose in the box so I replaced it with a nut & bolt.

Finally got the hoss out together last night. But definitely needed a bit of help just to some awkward angles and such. Doing the initial burn off right now so I can fire it up for a cook tomorrow. I do have another question to see if anyone can figure it out. I have smoke rolling out from the bottom where the ash cleanout tray is at. Think that might be a bit of a problem tomorrow because all the smoke might be leaving through the bottom instead of the smoke stack.

Finally got the hoss out together last night. But definitely needed a bit of help just to some awkward angles and such. Doing the initial burn off right now so I can fire it up for a cook tomorrow. I do have another question to see if anyone can figure it out. I have smoke rolling out from the bottom where the ash cleanout tray is at. Think that might be a bit of a problem tomorrow because all the smoke might be leaving through the bottom instead of the smoke stack.
Should be ok as long as the stack is open and clear. I sometimes get smoke coming out around the lid, up through the hopper, and out the hole where the grease bucket goes.

I have smoke rolling out from the bottom where the ash cleanout tray is at. Think that might be a bit of a problem tomorrow because all the smoke might be leaving through the bottom instead of the smoke stack.
Perfectly normal until the cook chamber warms up and it starts drafting out the chimney exhaust.
You do have the cap open on the chimney?

Heat it up good and give it a work out. High to low temps.
20210703_171330.jpg

Thanks for all the help. Once I got a little further along with the initial burn off it stopped coming out of the bottom of the smoker and just produced nice clean smoke. Got that all taken care of even put some probes in there to check how the pit temp fluctuated and it is a like 5 degrees hotter on the right side towards the stack but that's expected. Excited to fire it up later today with some pulled chicken and pork tenderloin.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky