Traeger Century 22 Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlieb

Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
Hi gang,

I recently purchased the Traeger Century 22 from Costco. I live in California, where temps are relatively high outside. I have noticed on the smoke setting, temperature gets up to 180 - 190 degrees, which seems very high.

My father's Traeger, which he's had for 5+ years, smokes between 120 - 140 (he lives in Portland, OR). 

Do you have any idea why this is, and how I may be able to lower the temperature?

Thanks, all!

180-190 is quite normal. I have a hard believing a pellet smoker can run reliably at 120-140 under any condition. Was that verified with a calibrated thermometer. 

Reactions: jlieb
Indeed it was. I've used it with him several times. It typically does hand around 140ish.

I appreciate the insight - my father was surprised my smoke temp was this high.

Outside temp can affect the Traeger smoke temp quite a bit.  Especially if the unit is in the sun.  On cold days I will see smoke temp of 135 and on warm Texas summer days it is 175.  

A very belated thank you for this. Over the past month, I've learned a lot about how the outside weather is impacting my smoke temp.

I'm currently smoking a 12 lbs brisket and the temp is fluctuating as the sun rises in CA (about up to 85 degrees at 11 a.m.).

Much appreciated!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky