Tips to setup weber smokey mountain for competition

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dahidalg

Original poster
Mar 16, 2023
Hey there!
I am going to my first kcbs comp with two WSM 22 inch smokers and 2 weber kettles. Do you guys use water pan? Is that just to lower the smoker temp?
I am doing, brisket, chicken, ribs and boston butt. Any tips?

Thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
I’m sure someone can comment on the cooker set up. The rest you asked is so broad there are entire books written as answers. Do you have any more specific questions?

I don't have a lot of competition experience, but I've done a couple of KCBS backyard competitions (chicken and ribs only) with two 18" WSM cookers. I settled on water pan filled for ribs, water pan empty for chicken, to (hopefully) help get bite-through skin on the thighs. I think the awful, laborious process of removing the subcutaneous fat layer from the skin helps more with that, but no water and a higher finishing temperature at the end helps a little.

Reactions: dahidalg
No competition experience here. But I’d do the brisket and pork butt on the wsm if you can fit them. Then have one kettle for the chicken and one for the ribs. Since the pork butt and brisket will be on longer you can just let them roll on the WSM and not have to worry about keep opening it up for anything

I'm not familiar with comp. rules, but depending on how much time they give you for cooking. Would determine the set-up I'd recommend. I also don't like putting water in my WSMs pan. I think it is a waste of charcoal energy. It's pretty easy to control the temps on a 22". Also are you going naturally aspirated or turbo-charged?

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky