Tiger1964's grilling cabinet

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tiger1964

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 19, 2020
Seabrook, MD
After seeing what dedicated cabinets to fit a kamado grill cost, last year or so I instead decided to flank the grill with a rolling mechanic's cabinet for far less. So far, it worked out very well although one could use even more storage space. But it came with a tongue-and-groove wooden top that started deteriorating almost immediately and by this spring began to come apart. So, I looked on Google Maps and a nearby town with several industrial parks showed 16 different places that sold countertops. I went and found one that did work on-site instead of sending away for counters, and had a large inventory of scraps. They sold me one and cut it to size, and finished the edges, very affordably; and we got it home (heavy!) and secured it with construction adhesive. Due to the number and location of bolts, it took a Sawzall to get the old one off. And, being granite, it needs regular cleaner/sealer treatments. But I like the results!

Attachments

• 4591998B-B015-4D7C-9719-8617052E917A.jpeg
    4591998B-B015-4D7C-9719-8617052E917A.jpeg
    191 KB · Views: 32
Definitely an upgrade from the cutting board top. I have a similar rolling island & we just put a couple of coats of polyurethane on the wood & it has been fine for a few years. But if this one ever falls apart, I will check out the mechanics cabinets, looks pretty cool.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky