The Secret to getting bite through, crispy skin on chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RoadRunner18

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 5, 2021
What do YOU do to get bite through, crispy skin on your chicken?
* Chicken Preparation?
* Seasoning/Rub?
* Cook Temperature?
* Cook Timelines?
* Sauce?

* Chicken Preparation?
* Seasoning/Rub?
* Cook Temperature?
* Cook Timelines?
* Sauce?

since you didn't specify what part of the chicken or if you're talking whole chicken.. I will tell you what I do to make the crispiest ever chicken wings in the world... and let me tell you I've made hundreds if not thousands of chicken wings in my lifetime.

The key to a super crispy chicken wing is inexpensive Sake.

I soak both the flats and drumettes in Sake for 30 min to 1 hour and pour out the Sake and pat them dry and simple salt and pepper... you can broil them in an electric oven starting skin side down for 10 minutes then flip skin side up for another 10 minutes, you can also air fry them at 400F for 10 min then flip for 10 min or grill them doing the same flip halfway through.

Results are SUPER crispy skins with juicy tender meat on the inside.

1618149661563.png

I'm with the Weber and Vortex crowd. I do think it helps to let them (legs, wings and thighs) dry out in the fridge for a bit before cooking...
With a whole chicken it's hard to beat an open flame....
on the spit.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all who responded. So the common thread for pellet cookers here is higher heat. I'll try 375 on my next cook.

* Chicken Preparation?
* Seasoning/Rub?
* Cook Temperature?
* Cook Timelines?
* Sauce?

Hi there and welcome!!!

Like many of the others. High enough temp seems to be the no fuss magic bullet for me and I tried a lot of things.

You need a minimum of 315F the entire smoke. I always recommend 325F smoker temp or higher though to give you edible and often crispy poultry skin.

Also DON"T cover poultry after hit comes out or the steam and moisture will just rehydrate and rubberize the skin again.

Reactions: BATMON and MJB05615
* Chicken Preparation?
* Seasoning/Rub?
* Cook Temperature?
* Cook Timelines?
* Sauce?

E2smdNW.jpg
I kind of split the difference between crispy skin and moist chicken. The ultimate crisp skin method for me is raised direct grilling, but it's harder for me to get the meat perfectly cooked.

I poke holes in the chicken skin with a sausage pricker. I do brine or inject all chicken except wings, and after brining I let it dry in the fridge for at least 12 hours, 24 hours is better. Any seasoning will do. And pit temps in the 300° + range work for me. I like cooking chicken in a ceramic cooker because the dome holds heat. Skin on legs and thighs come out good at 400° for 40 minutes, but it's hard not to overcook breasts at that temp.

Heat! If I do wings I dry them, apply rub, and let them set in the fridge for a minimum of 4hrs uncovered. I also sprinkle a bit of baking powder on with the rub to help dry them. Run on the pellet at 250 (my traeger runs around 275 at that setting) for an hour then up to 350 and crisp for around 10min on each side and done.

I fussed with chicken in my smoker and while I could get the skin reasonably crisp is was at the expense of how the meat turned out. Just couldn't reach a satisfying (to me) solution. BUT.... I solved the problem. I put a pellet filled smoker tube in the gas grill and did the chicken there at 350-375ºƒ. Perfectly smoked chicken with great crispy skin.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky