The lost apple sausage recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gremlin

Meat Mopper
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 27, 2006
Oshawa Ontario Canada
Well I am sorry to say that I have been unable to secure that apple concoction recipe from my buddy.

That leaves me no alternative but to keep trying to put together a recipe that will be close in flavour to the unknown original.
Having said that.....I made up a 12 lb batch of venison and a 12 lb batch of Moose(calf) sausages yesterday.
The ingredients were simple..

In the moose sausage
Sage 8 good sized leaves, shredded, salt and crushed pepper to taste, parsley roughly 1/2 cup and Fennel, 1tsp cassia buds roasted and ground and some apple cider about 1 1/2 cups, 2 cups of Apple sauce .

In the Venison sausage:
Salt, Pepper, ground Fennel, 1tsp Cassia buds, a good 2 tsp of Cayenne pepper, Parsley chopped, 1 & 1/2 cups Apple cider, and the two cups of Apple sauce.
I threw in about 2 cups of fresh finely ground bread crumbs from a french stick that I had drying in a paper bag.

Salt and spices adjusted to taste by cooking a small spoon sized pattie.
Initially the salt was roughly 1/4 cup split between the two batches.
The Fennel and Cassia bud were roasted and then ground in a coffee grinder together.
The mix was then rough measured into the meats along with the rest of the apple sauce and cider and allowed to sit and meld in food grade plastic bags for about two hours in the refrigerater before casing.
The cayenne was added alone as it only went into the Venison mix
Ground once before adding the ingredients and the plate used was 1/4 inch.

Cooked someon the BBQ for supper last night....Really sweet and juicey.

Sounds real sweet what ya got goin on here. Being from northwestern ontario I plan on smoking alot of moose, and deer meat. I think this fall I will do some ruffed grouse and snowshoe hare as well. lol. I am addicted to this smoking game and to this forum and I think this post from you Gremlin has inspired me to get a sausage grinder so that I can jump into the sausage makin game.

P.S. I hope I am not takin on to much at once here.

P.P.S. Along with makin my own wine and home brew combined with smoking and our great outdoors up here I feel I am just beginning to live!!! I am still young yet but feel this is the lifestyle for me.

P.P.P.S. Once again thanks Gremlin for the inspiration and good luck with duplicating this unknown recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky