The Bread Fairy must have been watching over me.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokyMose

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 13, 2015
Indianapolis, Indiana
So my new starter was looking good after 7 days. With a couple of 12hr feedings it was more than doubling in around 4hrs. Time to mix and autolyse. After an afternoon & evening of work 2 baskets were in the fridge for overnight. Next morning, after they warmed up it was time to bake.
I went with some suggestions from Coach JoeQB Coach JoeQB about getting a lighter crust.
I used my regular mix of 200g active starter, 600g lukewarm water, 800g Bread flour, 200g White Wheat flour but added about 1/4 c of sugar. After the 1st rise a little "NoSalt" and a tad more water.
I use lifting slings of folded foil, so I sprinkled a little corn meal on the slings and in the bottom of the D.O.
Preheated the D.O. to 485, dropped in a loaf and baked for around 18 minutes, then removed the lid, dropped the temp to 450 for another 15 minutes and shut off the oven 'til the IT was 208. Perfect :-)
Here's where things went awry. When I turned the oven back on while getting the second loaf installed I set it at 385 instead of 485 and didn't notice 'til I went to remove the lid after 18 minutes and nothing was happening. OMG!!
Turned the oven to 485 and just let it ride, assuming I had just ruined the loaf. After about 20 minutes it was done.
A little less oven rise but not much.
boules.jpg ends.jpg
bottoms.jpg bagged.jpg
The loaf on the right is the #2 loaf.
I don't know if it was the sugar or the temps but the crust was MUCH softer than my previous loaves.
Hearty thanks to Coach Joe, and the night before I bake next I'll sprinkle a little yeast under my pillow for the Bread Fairy.....

Dan

SM

Probably both, bread is funny like that. Time, temperature, and chemistry determine how a loaf will turn out.

Sourdough seems the toughest to master. That's the reason I have switch to a simpler Poolish dough. I read somewhere about sugar making a softer crust which to me seems opposite of what you think. My thought is sugar would make the crust brown faster making a tougher crust, but it's the opposite.

Glad your loaves turned out so nice enjoy!

Joe

Reactions: SmokyMose
Nice work! And glad the fairy was looking out for you. They look good! If all goes to heck there's always croutons lol!

Ryan

Reactions: SmokyMose
SM

Probably both, bread is funny like that. Time, temperature, and chemistry determine how a loaf will turn out.

Sourdough seems the toughest to master. That's the reason I have switch to a simpler Poolish dough. I read somewhere about sugar making a softer crust which to me seems opposite of what you think. My thought is sugar would make the crust brown faster making a tougher crust, but it's the opposite.

Glad your loaves turned out so nice enjoy!

Joe
Thanks!
I was just looking at your poolish thread. It doesn't look so simple LOL! I guess you don't have to mess with getting a sourdough starter going. One of these days...
I've actually been looking at a no-knead recipe that looks interesting (and simple). It sets up in the fridge.
Dan

Reactions: JLeonard
SM

Actually it's very easy. The instructions are rather complete, but the actual steps go together very fast. The Poolish takes 3 minutes to put together. Then you walk away everything else goes very fast. It's simply a matter of getting used to handling the dough. The biggest tip is wet hands when handling it.

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky