The best way to make build a charcoal fire.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nickbailey

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
I have a 1ft by 1ft (roughly) fire box. Currently i' using the pyramid method for building th charcoal (building a pyramid, and then only igniting the top layer of charcoal so it burns down). I can get about a temp of 240F Avg. with it. Anybody know a god way of making your fire hotter? (I try to get the heat to bounce aroudn between 220 and 300 as I usually cook Ribs and a beer can chicken in the same chamber.)

Nick, What kind of smoker are you using? You may want to try the Minion Method.

Jim Minion, who is a member on this board, developed a method for long unattended cooking using a Weber Bullet smoker buy loading it up with unlit charcoal and adding only a small amount of lit on top. Temperatures are maintained and controlled by adjusting the vents.

Detailed instructions are here: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

This works best on an air-tight smoker. Most smokers work fine but a rig that leaks air could allow too much oxygen to the fire and temperatures could rise out of control.

Interestng. Thats real no too far off from the pyramid I do.
+ = Lit Coals
- = Unlit Coals

.........+++
.......----------
....---------------
---------------------

Esentially the lit coals burn downwards. I can get the heat to about 250f average. It may just be that my firebox is alittle small. Not sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky