Thai Red Curry and Basil Shrimp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Had the urge to try a little something with shrimp today and settled in on this. Had a chance of storms today so didn't want to get into smoking today and figured I could do this on the griddle.

First I knocked off some broccoli and shitake mushrooms. No recipe on these really. Just cooked on the griddle in avocado oil. Added low sodium soy and dark sesame oil. Steamed some under a cover lid. Here is a shot of it on the griddle and then finished.
cooking broccoli and shrooms.jpg

broccoli finished.jpg

Next up fried Thai noodles. I use an amazing noodle substitute to keep these keto. Konjac and oat fiber based noodles are amazing. When first out of the package they have a very strong ammonia smell. Rinse very well in cold water. Soak for about 20 minutes in cold water and then boil for 5 minutes and you have a nice flavor neutral noodle that is literally perfect for many noodle and pasta applications. I used the Better than Noodle brand this week. A full package is 0 net carbs and only 30 calories.
konjac noodles.jpg

Other ingredients for the noodles, When frying them on the griddle I used some sesame oil in which I first cooked a few stalks of lemon grass minced and 3 cloves of minced garlic. Stirred into the noodles. Squeezed on lime on them along with two tbsp of fish sauce , 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, 1/2 tsp ground coriander and two tbsp brown swerve. At the end I adjusted some for taste.

noodle ingredients .jpg

Noodles on grill .jpg

noodles fnished.jpg

Thai Red Curry
  • 2 lbs. shrimp
  • 2 red bell peppers cut into thin strips
  • 2 bunches of green onion chopped (white and greens)
  • 2 cans of full fat coconut milk
  • 6 tbsp Thai red curry paste
  • 2 tbsp fish sauce ( I use Red Boat and it has no sugar)
  • 2 tbsp Brown swerve
  • 2 cups torn basil
shrimp ingredients.jpg

Grilling up the shrimp , peppers and green onions. Hit the shrimp with some salt and pepper.
griddle shrimp peppers and onion.jpg

ready to put in pot.jpg

Adding the rest of the ingredients except for the basil to a pot on the griddle. Bring to a boil and then simmer until thickened.
cooking in pot.jpg

Once thickened stir in the torn basil and you are finished.
finished 1.jpg

Here it is plated up.
plated 1.jpg

Overall pretty tasty. It ended up being too spicy for my wife. Next time I would add the shrimp towards the end of thickening the sauce as well. Boiling them too long made them a bit chewy. The noodles were money!! This dish will be a keeper but will get a few tweaks next time. As always thanks for looking!!

Those flavors look like they'd work really well together Jeff, I'm thinking that was a pretty tasty dish, nice piece of work, Like! RAY

Reactions: jcam222
Wowzer Jcam that looks amazing!
Looks great, I definitely wouldn’t turn it down. Good job on those pics also.
Looks fabulous !!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Freaking Fantastic!
I'm a lover of all things curry.
Wow. Fabulous pics. Nice job
Looks awesome! I could eat that weekly! Very nice!
Yeah Jeff I'd eat that. Nice work. Awesome pics as usual. The pic before you added to the plate was all I needed to see
Looks awesome
Those flavors look like they'd work really well together Jeff, I'm thinking that was a pretty tasty dish, nice piece of work, Like! RAY
Amazing! just amazing.

why must they be that way - bahaha referencing to my recent thread where the beef was too rare. too hot, too cold, too spicy, too rare....
Another superb job Jeff!

Boy you are on a roll there.

BIG LIKE!

John
Thanks guys for the comments! This one was pretty tasty but needs some work next time. I’ll give it a go again and some point and make a few tweaks to it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky