Temp difference top and bottom grid in CC

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqfoodexpress

Original poster
Jan 25, 2022
Hi all,
The smoker build is making good progress.
I did some testruns already. First thing I notices is that the smokers tempereratuer was running high despite I had all vents almost fully closed.
I fixed the issue by sealing the ashtray front. Now I am much more in controll but still it keeps burning pretty much despite all vents closed,
Have not figured out yet where it gets its oxygen from.

Second thing I like to fix is the difference in temperature between top and bottom grid, I guess it is because hot air rises.... duh..... Is that a common issue and is there a working solution for that?

Best regards from The Netherlands

Ron

1647733373041.png 1647733436920.png 1647733495421.png
1647733595622.png

I don't know that there is a fix. Like you said, heat rises, so you're always going to run a little hotter towards the top of the CC.

Reactions: babydocsmoker
Hi all,
The smoker build is making good progress.
I did some testruns already. First thing I notices is that the smokers tempereratuer was running high despite I had all vents almost fully closed.
I fixed the issue by sealing the ashtray front. Now I am much more in controll but still it keeps burning pretty much despite all vents closed,
Have not figured out yet where it gets its oxygen from.

Second thing I like to fix is the difference in temperature between top and bottom grid, I guess it is because hot air rises.... duh..... Is that a common issue and is there a working solution for that?

Best regards from The Netherlands

Ron

View attachment 529454 View attachment 529455 View attachment 529456 View attachment 529457
Did the difference in temperature get less over time? I would think the thermal mass would bring the temperature closer as everything gets hot. Don’t they use bricks to normalize temps too?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky