Sweet and sour time baby

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

negolien

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Sacramento, Calif.
Hey All,

So got the Chicken marinating in bachans, oyster sauce, honey and some Yoshidas.. I got 2 green and 2 red bell pepper and a large sweet onion.. I am probably gonna go with only the Yings light and crispy batter. I will update in this top post as I proceed. 14 year old Cats at the vet for a check up so gotta wait till he gets back to start cookin.... lookin forward to not over cooking my veggies this time (I will anyway watch) lol... I tend to ALWAYS over cook the peppers and onions. Gonna do the frying in my oil deep fryer and put it all together in my wok where I will do the veggies too..

Post script:

Well, there you have it another fine meal cooked up with help from forum members and their advice. The kikoman's isn't as sweet as the la Choy so I added a little bit of honey. It was also a smaller jar so it's right on the edge of not being enough. I think it will be fine though. The batter was freakin amazing, about three servings in package. I mixed the batter threw in the meat and pulled it out 1 piece at a time with chopsticks. I double fryed also.... i would highly recoimmend the Ying's batter.

What else...... oh the veggies I probably should have cooked it in two batches... the meat to veggie ratio is close to needing more chicken but I think it will be ok. It looks like the pieces of veggies are to big and too raw but 100% they will cook down they always do. I' am pretty happy with it.

20220901_122628.jpg 20220901_122634.jpg

Attachments

• wok and pan.jpg
    wok and pan.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220902_011452.jpg
    20220902_011452.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220902_012342.jpg
    20220902_012342.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220902_012425.jpg
    20220902_012425.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 15
  • cookin sas.jpg
    cookin sas.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 20
  • pan of sas.jpg
    pan of sas.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220902_051025.jpg
    20220902_051025.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220902_051048.jpg
    20220902_051048.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Good luck on the cook and your cat! I am in deep research on my upcoming asian cooks. Just made stock for them. The main reason I like asian cooking is the veggies have that fresh snap still left. Here places don't even give you onion or pepper with sweet and sour.

Reactions: negolien
What's your Kitty's name??
He looks ready to do some "Wind-Sprints" around the house!
Our Smokey is only 13 1/2, but Bozo (our last cat) was 17 years 3 months when we lost him.
Cats are Amazing creatures.

Bear

• Haha
I like most of my veg soft in my Asian with a bit of snap/crunch to them , onions , peppers , celery etc
But that's me,
Hope you kitty comes home with good bill of health
Here places don't even give you onion or pepper with sweet and sour.
They do not here if you are ordering the battered S + S , but with a dish with none battered S + S it is full of fantastic veg.

David

• Wow
I like most of my veg soft in my Asian with a bit of snap/crunch to them , onions , peppers , celery etc
But that's me,
Hope you kitty comes home with good bill of health

They do not here if you are ordering the battered S + S , but with a dish with none battered S + S it is full of fantastic veg.

David
They don't give you veggies with your sweet and sour? That's a travesty lol.... I love my veggies with a little snap too sadly I usually pull them when they are done which means they overcook with the carry over lol. I end up lookin in the container an hour later going wtf did all my veggies go????? I need to pull em when I still think they are raw ..

Oh and Leo is fine doctor didn't even see the need for a dental cleaning after 14 years. Will get the blood and urine work later today. Here's him with my past on cat Mouse when they were like 2 years old.
leo and mouse as babies.jpg
I didn't make the food as I was drinking all day.. I will do it this morning after some morning drinking lol.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
How did you find the batter this time looks great and the veg looks like it has some texture
( I just went back to the top and read , sounds like it worked out good )

This was mine from the other day, it was great also

David

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 13
How did you find the batter this time looks great and the veg looks like it has some texture
( I just went back to the top and read , sounds like it worked out good )

This was mine from the other day, it was great also

David
yup saw that post you do your veggies right I tend to put 6 times too much in the pan... What kinda pork was that?

Everything came out pretty good just a little close on ratios but looks like it's combining pretty good. I'll probably do it again with pork shoulder in a month or two. I would 100% recommend the Ying's batter. kikoman's makes pretty good stuff too I have no complaints i just like my sweet and sour a little sweeter than kikomans makes it.

Last edited:
Looks great! If you want another option, my MIL got me hooked on La Choy S&S DUCK SAUCE. They make 2 kinds, regular S&S and S&S duck. Duck is not easy to find but is really good and very similar to the sauce I used to get at my fave chinese joint. Unique and not a typical ketchup type S&S. I plan to try and clone it since it's so hard to find. The owner of the restaurant told me the base is canned fruit cup.

Decided for my first run doing teriyaki chicken. Sauce will be Yoshida's with some stock, maybe a little mirin. I think with onion, water chestnuts, and something else but not sure yet. Debating marinating the chicken too.

Looks great! If you want another option, my MIL got me hooked on La Choy S&S DUCK SAUCE. They make 2 kinds, regular S&S and S&S duck. Duck is not easy to find but is really good and very similar to the sauce I used to get at my fave chinese joint. Unique and not a typical ketchup type S&S. I plan to try and clone it since it's so hard to find. The owner of the restaurant told me the base is canned fruit cup.

Decided for my first run doing teriyaki chicken. Sauce will be Yoshida's with some stock, maybe a little mirin. I think with onion, water chestnuts, and something else but not sure yet. Debating marinating the chicken too.
I marinate when i do teriyaki.. I just did some with yoshida's it was broccoli and beef yoshida's is awesome

Reactions: zwiller
I marinate when i do teriyaki.. I just did some with yoshida's it was broccoli and beef yoshida's is awesome
Excited, never heard of the stuff and found out about it here. ALSO just learned of Bachan's BBQ! Thanks for that. I must be living under a rock LOL.

• Love
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky