Surf & Turf on the Drum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
WOW what a fantastic job!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
points.gif

How did you get that nice cut in the Legs?

And how did those steaks turn out so pink and you seared for 6 Min a side?? What temp do you 'sear' at?

My wife is WOWing these pics and now I'm in big trouble if I don't pump out this meal SOON!!!!

Thanks Eaglewing!
biggrin.gif

The king crabs I buy already have a slit in the shell..they are easy to open and eat that way. :)
I smoked the steaks first for an hour and 15 minutes at 225 degrees in the drum (flipping them once)...then heated my gas grill on high to get the grate nice and hot.... kept the flame on high and seared them for 6 minutes on each side. Some of the steaks I do are thicker and take 7 minutes per side.
I like mine medium rare...
Sometimes I am afraid that I will cook them too long in the smoker.. an hour of smoke is usually plenty of smoke flavor.
Hope this helps!
Glad you and your Mrs. like the meal... I hope it turns out well for you!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks again!

THNX for the info back Jeanie,

I guess what I meant by the searing time was I have cooked entire steaks at only 4 mins a side before with my grill at 500* and I like mine medium rare too...

Anyway, so I suppose yours really are pretty thick to not over cook at 7min a side... or your grill is just not as hot as mine is when I have it cranked up...

I get the picture, and will be trying this REAL SOON, Thank you again.

Jeanie, excellent choice of flavor combos and textures. I also want to thank you for sharing the pics, great presentation. I know you've still got your boots on... and your groove too.

Awww DANG! Jeanie... awesome as usual. You know the points are coming ;o). We did steak and crab for mothers day... I'm going to have to talk to my supplier about splitting those legs!

Very nice. Had to also make some comments below...

RB - smoker, grill, or even the oven is way better than boiling or nuking.

hhookk;492318 said:
I prefer lobster, but sometimes I get sick of it. Crab will be a nice change.
points.gif

quote]

HHook... I'm from Colorado... that was just RUDE!
biggrin.gif

AK - I think they really need to be thawed and drained to be the best.

That's it - sorry for hi-jacking your thread, CG!

You're sure welcome Eaglewing.. Hope they turn out well for you. :)

Thank you Caveman! Come on down, there's plenty of room here.
biggrin.gif

Rich..Thank you so much! I DO have my tall boots on... it's rattesnake season..lol
biggrin.gif

Thank you Tracey! The split legs really make opening the legs a breeze. Sounds like you had a nice Mother's day!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks again friends!

Thanks for the info . Usually I just pull the legs out of the freezer and steam or boil them. I'm definitely trying some smoked crab soon, and I will make sure it's thawed first.

Thanks again.

Well, I didn't have any crab legs handy, but I did have some whole precooked lobsters. So, I smoked some sirloin tip steaks along with 2 whole lobsters.

Dang! they were good.

Thank you Cowgirl for the inspiration
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thank you Mythmaster and AK1!

AK1 your lobster sounds fantastic! Hope you took pictures.
biggrin.gif

A woman after my own heart! LOL! Hi Cowgirl! that made my mouth water. I so love your barrel smoker, is there a thread around here that shows how you made that? or tutorial?

I am a little late to the party here but I think I am going to have to try this meal sometime. I love Crab but rarely make it at home. Seems like a fun easy way to cook it and make it taste great! Thanks Cowgirl!!!!

I am a little late to the party here but I think I am going to have to try this meal sometime. I love Crab but rarely make it at home. Seems like a fun easy way to cook it and make it taste great! Thanks Cowgirl!!!!
Thanks DUFFMAN!  I really love crab on the smoker.. it's probably my all time favorite thing to smoke. Hope you give it a try....and let me know how it goes!   :)

Thank you Warren!!

I think I'm going to have to smoke more soon... my tummy is growling thinking about them.. lol
icon_redface.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky