Suggestions for "first timer"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

azbohunter

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
Home is Glendale, AZ.
My MES 30 is due for arrival tomorrow,(Dec 2) I got the AMNPS 5x8 yesterday with 4 different flavor of pellets. So now I have to decide what I want to try first. I have some fresh/frozen salmon from Oregon this past summer, elk from Arizona and Whitetail from Kansas. I will probably buy some turkey legs or something...I am open to suggestions and would prefer to have something easy the first time around.

Also, I have read quite a lot about mobs that several of you have made that sound interesting. I ordered the generation 1 mes and the one mod that looked pretty easy was the smoke diverter hung from the inside of the vent with a wire.

This looks like a great forum and I am sure I will be visiting it frequently. I have already book marked several recipes!
drool.gif

Try seasoning it first, once it's seasoned you can start with some pork ribs, they don't take too long at all, St. Louis style  ribs, maybe 5-6 hours.  You can either smoke them straight up or use the 3-2-1 method.  Now's not the time to go crazy, and waste all those tasty treats you've got stocked,  take a few smokes, get a feel for the smoker, how it heat/cools, reacts to changes in the air flow when opening/closing dampers, and the way it cooks. Once you are comfortable with your new friend, then break out the tasty treats.

Thanks for the reply ristau5741, have already seasoned the smoker and ran two batches of smoke.

I found chicken thighs on sale yesterday (natural w/no added enhancements) so I thought I would try a recipe I found on here,

either today or tomorrow, I had ordered a Maverick ET-732 and was hoping it would be in the mail today but NOT. I have no other internal thermometer and have not yet verified the temp on my smoker (MES 30" digital gen:1)

With that said I may wait till tomorrow? Not sure if that is a statement or a question
icon_exclaim.gif

Thanks for your input!

Dick

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky