sqwibs-macaroni-and-cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

azbohunter

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 23, 2013
Home is Glendale, AZ.
Had a Christmas party to attend last night that is pot luck and I really wanted to smoke something and thought Mac and Cheese would be fun as I had never even heard of "smoked" mac and cheese until I found this site. Doing a search on SMF brought up many recipes and I settled on "SQWIBS Mac and Cheese" http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/106103/sqwibs-macaroni-and-cheese. The final results, it was delicious, smooth, creamy, rich and full of that cheesy flavor with enough smoke but not over powering.

Now my other thoughts, it is not a cheap dish, I made a run to the market for my list and totaled right at $20.00 plus or minus some change. Not a budget breaker but for a 9"x13" dish of mac and cheese, $20 is quite a lot.

My wife watched me make it and as I was adding several different kinds of cheese, sour cream, cream cheese she was saying, "are you sure your reading that recipe correctly?" " Do you know how many calories are going to be in that?" (she is a very healthy eater and very conscious of what she eats"  I told her "it's Christmas" enjoy! She ate a small portion and said it was wonderfully good but very rich!

I was really running behind and was negligent with pictures. I regret forgetting as it was a beautiful pan of smoked mac and cheese. A beautiful golden brown with bits of crumbled bacon, a site to behold! 

I was hoping that there would be some leftovers and there was, I get to have it for lunch today.

I would make this again in a heartbeat but it would have to be another special occasion because it is something that my wife and I would not eat often because of the "healthy eating" thing!

One really good thing, when I was at the market I found "pork butt on sale for 50% off @ $1.49# so I grabbed two for the freezer.

This really is delicious "mac and cheese" and very worthy of the time to make it. I would highly recommended it!

Love your post.

It is a "Rich" dish, very "Rich", you only need a bit as a side.

I only made it a few times and never really priced it, always had the ingredients around.

Your wife was right to be concerned, especially the fat and calories!

This definitely isn't an every day dish.

Dang, would have loved to see some pics.

Thanks for sharing!

I'm making this again for Easter, going to share it with my kids and grand kids so I know it won't be around long.

I also am planning on making a batch of this for a family reunion in June but will be in Oregon (I am in AZ) Do you think a guy could make this up ahead of time, smoke it and freeze it? It not, I will do it there as I am hauling the smoker with me this year, lots of salmon to be caught and smoked plus some kokanee!

I'm making this again for Easter, going to share it with my kids and grand kids so I know it won't be around long.

I also am planning on making a batch of this for a family reunion in June but will be in Oregon (I am in AZ) Do you think a guy could make this up ahead of time, smoke it and freeze it? It not, I will do it there as I am hauling the smoker with me this year, lots of salmon to be caught and smoked plus some kokanee!
I think you may have a problem with the cheese separating or curdling if frozen, I would not freeze.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky