Speaking of Bearcarver, er Bearcarving....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
I’ve been looking for a wooden bear statue, holding a fish for quite some time. Either they haven’t been available or too small or way too expensive. Then this past week, I was on Craigslist looking for old Chevy truck parts, when I decided to try “wooden bear statue”

This guy posted that he had the a 4+ foot tall wooden bear statue and wanted to trade it for an adult push cart of some type (whatever that is). Emailed if he would consider selling it. Very surprised how quickly he jumped for it, for he was striking out finding a good adult push cart. Made him an offer that ended with a hand shake.

So, this is Beary holding what looks like a Coho Salmon. Since the wife and I do a lot of Salmon fishing, this is a perfect addition to our back yard. I will be giving him and the fish a new quick coat of paint in the next few days. Supposedly, Beary use to live at a auto tire dealership up in Oregon for quite a few years, before moving down to the San Francisco Bay Area.

Yes Bearcarver, thought of you during this acquisition. Tomorrow, Beary will be helping guard my smoker while I’m doing some Salmon…of course.

Cheers
A365D26E-ED7C-4F55-9BDA-0E2F446505B7.jpeg
0AE6B741-E550-4EF6-BF4B-5499603C2B58.jpeg
265E31F7-B5CD-41F1-BB84-A09ADB04BFCD.jpeg

Last edited:
Too cool.
Pity they painted it.

Am I seeing things or do your bow windows angle up?
I don't mind it being painted at all, especially with the colors chosen.
No the Bay windows of the shop are very vertical. Think it's the lens of my cel phone.

That is so cool! What a great addition to the backyard. Congratulations on finding such a nice specimen.

Cool !!
I've seen that style a number of times.
I moved all of my Bears inside.
The Big ones are in the garage, and the small ones are in my Living Room.
The UV rays of the sun destroys them, even with "Marine Varnish" on them.

Bear

Cool !!
I've seen that style a number of times.
I moved all of my Bears inside.
The Big ones are in the garage, and the small ones are in my Living Room.
The UV rays of the sun destroys them, even with "Marine Varnish" on them.

Bear
I wish you were still doing them Bear, the little ones crawling up the deck posts are awesome.

Thanks for all the replies, especially from Bearcarver.

This bear was supposedly created in the mid 60’s. Doin’ pretty good in my books.

Today I found some brown and silver paint out in my shop, grabbed a couple brushes and sat with Beary while I was smokin’ some Salmon.

New quick paint job:

99425C28-0C1F-4CC7-8850-5DBA172B2362.jpeg
5DFD145B-1CCD-4CF6-A16A-10323CD6997F.jpeg

Looks great. I think that is neater than hell. Somebody had a lot more talent than I will ever have. And the new paint job looks awesome!

Looks good Craig.
Painting them makes them last longer than the Marine Varnish I used to use, but mine were meant to be unpainted, and the colors I got were from torching & Brushing:

Bear
A Bear from Log to Finish. How to Carve a Bear:
DSC03575.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: idahopz
Great looking bear. I have a smaller bear (about 3ft tall) that I brought back from New Mexico in 2007 that rules over a corner of the living room. He has become the "tattle bear" with our grand daughters. If they feel the need to tattle they have to tell him first. LOL.
And I'd fight a bear for some of that salmon!
Jim

Bear,
I truly appreciate your comments and especially your link. Your bears are extremely beautiful.

Reactions: Bearcarver
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky