Something a Little Different

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AllAces

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
I have a five pound boneless pork shoulder and decided to do something different from my traditional Eastern North Carolina pulled pork. Here's the plan. The pork is being brined overnight in apple cider with dry ingredients of brown sugar, kosher salt, black pepper, garlic, and honey. Tomorrow it gets a thin coating of wagyu beef tallow, turbino sugar, salt and pepper. It goes in the Req Teq smoker at 250F. Pellets will be a blend of equal parts red oak, white oak and hickory. At 160F it gers pulled and wrapped with a half cup of the brine. At 204F internal it gets pulled and rests for 45 minutes. It will be served with Asian coleslaw and rustic skillet cornbread. There'll also be some small flour tortillas for those who want to mix it up with some mango salsa, black cherry bbq sauce, candied jalapeños and other goodies. Pineapple cake for dessert.

I’m in with the plan, but I’m going to have to have pictures to smell when this is all done.

BEHOLD THE MIGHTY PORKY!
The pork shoulder is in the Req Teq with some burnt ends (aka, belly candy).

Attachments

• 20230504_102345~2.jpg
    20230504_102345~2.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 13
Here's the dinner plan.
The pork will be pulled and seasoned and served up as a street taco bar. Condiments will include:
Mango salsa
Mango salsa with jalapeños
Vandalia onions and sweet red peppers, smoked and grilled.
Pico
Candied pickled jalapeños
Green onions
Jack cheese
Apple cider vinegar with red pepper (traditional Eastern NC BBQ Sauce)
Sweet Baby Ray's (for the one city dude)
Asian coleslaw
Rustic cornbread sticks
Sweet tea

At 204F the porky came off and rested for 45 minutes. This way of preparing a boneless pork shoulder does not produce the heavy bark and smoke ring that you'd get with a bone-in portion. There's a light hickory smoke flavor and the apple cider and spice packet lends a very light Christmas ham flavor. This will be a perfect base meat for the salty, sweet, tangy and hot condiments. The idea is to try small servings of various combinations of meat, condiments and sauces. What's really good is to add a piece or two of the pork belly candy.

Attachments

• 20230504_150220.jpg
    20230504_150220.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: normanaj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky