So I smoked a couple birds on the WSM for a co-worker... (w/PICS)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phatbac

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Monroe, NC USA
Hello SMF:
I smoked a couple of birds over the weekend for a co-worker who said he would like a couple of chickens. I brined the birds in salt and brown sugar overnight. then in the morning I dried the chickens and spatchcocked (butterflied) the birds. I coated with Salt Pepper Onion Garlic (SPOG) on the underside and the skin and under the skin. then I put on Bradley racks and put a bed of fresh herbs underneath them and a drip pan under the Bradley racks. I smoked at 220 for 3 hours and in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes. what resulted was a house that smelled wonderful and a couple of birds to be proud of!

Season with SPOG and fresh herbs after a spatchcock...
1.jpg

Smoke at 220 degrees for 3 hours...
2.jpg

put it in the oven to crisp the skins at 400 for 20 minutes
3.jpg

Let rest and wrap for transport...
4.jpg

Thanks for looking and any comments or likes you would like to add!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Looks amazing!!! But was the skin eatable? I have tried chicken and turkey multiple times on the smoker, even on a rotisery and even running the temps high at the end the skin was tough and not really eatable.

Reactions: phatbac
great looking birds!
Thank you!

Mighty fine job on the birds. Gonna be a very happy coworker.
I hope so esp when he finds out im not charging him!

Yes, those are some good looking birds. Any leftover? My wife and I were just trying to decide what is for dinner.
Ha!

Nice job Aaron but they haven't arrived yet thought you packed for transport. :emoji_laughing:

Warren
I will cook some for you Warren if i make it to PA this spring!

Looks amazing!!! But was the skin eatable? I have tried chicken and turkey multiple times on the smoker, even on a rotisery and even running the temps high at the end the skin was tough and not really eatable.
Should be edible and crispy. i will let you know what he says cuz I'm not eating it!

Looks great and now I have another option for this week. Thanks......
Always want to inspire!

Happy Smoking.
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky