Snack sticks in a dehydrator

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ASHESKITCHEN88

Original poster
Mar 31, 2021
Hello

I'm new, and just had a few questions im doing snack sticks for the first time in collagen tubes. Well I bought cure salt/prague and it didn't say what to do other then put 1 teaspoon into 5lbs of ground meat, i did half that amount and half the meat. But I didn't let it sit over night like others suggested to do only because , well I didn't know :(. But I added soy sauce and liquid smoke to my sticks about 3/4 of a cup of liquid and mixed all the seasonings/cure salt in the ground meat and stuffed in the tubes then i placed them in my dehydrator at 165° for 9 in half to 10 hrs will they be ok to consume or did I just ruin my snack sticks..

Thanks for the help.

If you mixed it well your ok, some summer sausage recipes with citric acid are stuff and straight to the smoker. I prefer. T let mine sit overnight to let the flavors blend you may have some inconsistent sticks as far as flavors go,but nothing unhealthy imo.

Reactions: ASHESKITCHEN88
You are fine. The soy will act as a cure accelerator, kind of. At any rate you are fine with what you have. As a side, if you use encapsulated C , you can go straight to cooking, or if you add sodium erythorbate you can go directly to cook. These are cure accelerators and color preservatives.

If you mixed it well your ok, some summer sausage recipes with citric acid are stuff and straight to the smoker. I prefer. T let mine sit overnight to let the flavors blend you may have some inconsistent sticks as far as flavors go,but nothing unhealthy imo.

Yes I mixed it well, my prague is a mixture of salt and nitrite and I mixed the meat to wear it became sticky so it was mixed very well. Also how long should I dehydrate the sticks for everyone has a different time frame for the oven, dehydrator and smokers. I just need it for my dehydrator which is by meat your maker. The highest temp goes to 165° but thank you for the help crazycajun

You are fine. The soy will act as a cure accelerator, kind of. At any rate you are fine with what you have. As a side, if you use encapsulated C , you can go straight to cooking, or if you add sodium erythorbate you can go directly to cook. These are cure accelerators and color preservatives.

Ok thank you smokinEdge I appreciate it was worried there for a second lol

Ok thank you smokinEdge I appreciate it was worried there for a second lol
Cure #1 is used as a safety hurdle in sausage making. It has a process where the nitrite (NaNo2) reacts with myoglobin and transforms into No (Nitric oxide) The nitric oxide (gas state) then kill bad bacteria like botulism. This reaction takes a little time to complete. 12 or so hours but 24 hours is considered the wait time. The concern would be if you were to cold smoke the sausage right away there wouldn’t be time for the cure to inoculate the sausage and you could get sick. However since you went to heat right away, as long as you go from 40*F to 140*F in 4 hours or less (internal temperature) you are safe. The amount of nitrite you applied is safe. Long winded, but hope this helps you understand why it’s safe.

Cure #1 is used as a safety hurdle in sausage making. It has a process where the nitrite (NaNo2) reacts with myoglobin and transforms into No (Nitric oxide) The nitric oxide (gas state) then kill bad bacteria like botulism. This reaction takes a little time to complete. 12 or so hours but 24 hours is considered the wait time. The concern would be if you were to cold smoke the sausage right away there wouldn’t be time for the cure to inoculate the sausage and you could get sick. However since you went to heat right away, as long as you go from 40*F to 140*F in 4 hours or less (internal temperature) you are safe. The amount of nitrite you applied is safe. Long winded, but hope this helps you understand why it’s safe.

Yes I went from fridge cold temp to mixing everything then filling the tubes then straight into my dehydrator at 165° for about 7 hrs then I added another 3hrs as to me the snack sticks didn't look like they were done yet. So a total of 10hrs in the dehydrator and they did reach an internal temp of 165°. But from here on out I guess I will prepare everything then let it sit in the fridge for 24hrs prior to filling or can I fill my collagen tubes and refrigerate them then dehydrate them?

some thought doing summer sausage in deydrater may not work, but i might have misled when i mentioned goes upt to 167.. i started out my 5 1# chubs at 113for 45 minutes then 124 for 45 then 136, 147, 158, came out perfect. wont do oven again. i did add 1.75 liquid smoke flaver was perfect. this at start. i made pretty lean. took about 5 hrs to reach 157
deyh.jpg

the temp listed is a little off about 3 degrees higher. i can fit 6 pounds of jerkey on the 7 trays.

the temp listed is a little off about 3 degrees higher. i can fit 6 pounds of jerkey on the 7 trays.

Ok yes, mine goes up to 167° as well and I did it at that temp from the start cuz I'm new to this and I don't want to spoil my meat either but I have heard of that method to increase it every 10° every hr till u get to 180° but mine only goes to 167° so I thought about doing that method so I think I'll give it a try. Do you soak urs in cold water after, like an ice bath? I did that after I did my first batch. They seem ok haven't eatin one yet lol I think I might have over cooked them lol 😄

some thought doing summer sausage in deydrater may not work, but i might have misled when i mentioned goes upt to 167.. i started out my 5 1# chubs at 113for 45 minutes then 124 for 45 then 136, 147, 158, came out perfect. wont do oven again. i did add 1.75 liquid smoke flaver was perfect. this at start. i made pretty lean. took about 5 hrs to reach 157View attachment 491391
This one is mine, its a meat your maker dehydrator.

Attachments

• 20210331_150900.jpg
    20210331_150900.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 43
Yes I went from fridge cold temp to mixing everything then filling the tubes then straight into my dehydrator at 165° for about 7 hrs then I added another 3hrs as to me the snack sticks didn't look like they were done yet. So a total of 10hrs in the dehydrator and they did reach an internal temp of 165°. But from here on out I guess I will prepare everything then let it sit in the fridge for 24hrs prior to filling or can I fill my collagen tubes and refrigerate them then dehydrate them?
Yes, you can stuff and refrigerate then cook. I recommend this way as the mince batter will get very stiff after sitting in the fridge and pushing that through the stuffer if a PITA. So yes mix, stuff, refrigerate then cook and/or smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky