Smoking soaked ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xbubblehead

Smoke Blower
Original poster
I have to soak commercial hams to lower the Sodium. I plan to soak then smoke the next one. Any suggestion for wood, temp and IT? I'll be using a Char Broil bullet smoker I modified to reduce air leaks. I don't want to turn the ham into a dry hunk of cardboard.

Commercial hams are already smoked/cooked so I'm not sure how much salt you'll get out of it but give it a shot. As far as smoking check out bearcarvers step by steps he has a good double smoked ham there, he used an electric smoker but maybe youll get some tips.

Reactions: chopsaw
Commercial hams are already smoked/cooked so I'm not sure how much salt you'll get out of it but give it a shot. As far as smoking check out bearcarvers step by steps he has a good double smoked ham there, he used an electric smoker but maybe youll get some tips.
Actually with an overnight soak and single water change I get the salt down pretty low. The problem is most of that great ham flavor goes away with the soak water so I thought I could perk it up with a second smoke. My concern is that additional smoking might dry the meat too much. Bouncing between a short, hot smoke or a low and slow smoke. I've even considered a covered warming in the oven with Liquid Smoke and some clove mix seasoning.

I would just start smoking around 140 for a few hours then start uping your temps 10-15 degrees every hour until you reach 145 internal temp. What size ham ya smoking, did you ever consider brining your own where you could control the salt. Pork butts make great hams. Just a thought.

I would just start smoking around 140 for a few hours then start uping your temps 10-15 degrees every hour until you reach 145 internal temp. What size ham ya smoking, did you ever consider brining your own where you could control the salt. Pork butts make great hams. Just a thought.
The goal is to get the sodium down to 15% or lower per serving. You have a point with brining my own, possibly by combining kosher salt and seasoning I could get a tasty mix, smoking would round out the taste. The local Kroger and Wally World usually have butts and picnics on sale.

The goal is to get the sodium down to 15% or lower per serving. You have a point with brining my own, possibly by combining kosher salt and seasoning I could get a tasty mix, smoking would round out the taste. The local Kroger and Wally World usually have butts and picnics on sale.
15% sodium is way high. We brine our own hams and use 2% Salt max plus Cure #1
Never salty. I would re heat the ham in a aluminum tray with some liquid on the top and and keep it covered,

15% sodium is way high. We brine our own hams and use 2% Salt max plus Cure #1
Never salty. I would re heat the ham in a aluminum tray with some liquid on the top and and keep it covered,
What's the relationship of salt solution in brine to salt actually in the ham? I know it isn't 1 to 1 but not sure if it's higher meat to brine. The RDA for sodium is 2,300 mg so I want to stay below around 345 mg per serving.

Last edited:
fishwrestler, at 2% (I don't know if cure #1 has any additional) it seems you're using around 21 ounces of salt for every gallon of water in your brine, I believe that's around 85 grams of salt per gallon, that's why I interested in how much makes it into the meat.

What's the relationship of salt solution in brine to salt actually in the ham? I know it isn't 1 to 1 but not sure if it's higher meat to brine. The RDA for sodium is 2,300 mg so I want to stay below around 345 mg per serving.
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/5-days-from-picnic-to-ham.296135/

Use the daveomak daveomak ham recipe. In this way you will completely control the salt content of your ham. Most delicious ham I’ve ever ate. Give it it a go. Game changer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky