Smoking salt question..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whitegardens

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 7, 2015
Did a run at Christmas for gifts.

Used a fine granual Himalayan salt.

Smelled great in the jars, but doesn't seem to add any smoky flavor..

What wood do you use, fine or large granual, and do you hot or cold smoke.

Thanks for any input!

20211221_132550.jpg

20211221_142610.jpg

20211223_110332.jpg

Attachments

• 20211221_132550.jpg
    20211221_132550.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 7
Use a large grain kosher or flaked sea salt and it can handle any wood including mesquite. I've had the best luck hot smoking it but cold smoking isn't bad either.

I used a stainless steel screen and move the salt around multiple times during the run to get smoke on all the salt. Smoking it in a box is limiting.

Mine is actually a grease splatter cover made for a frying pan. I simply cut the handle off.. I picked it up at Bass Pro Shops. I'm sure others carry similar items.

This is a great idea! I actually have a couple of those already for cooking pasta sauces and pan frying!

I'm guilty of not paying enough attention to your original post.

I suspect that the box you put your salt in blocked the smoke. Frequent stirring would help get smoke on more of the salt, but then you lose smoke opening the smoker to stir.

I'm guilty of not paying enough attention to your original post.

I suspect that the box you put your salt in blocked the smoke. Frequent stirring would help get smoke on more of the salt, but then you lose smoke opening the smoker to stir.

Pretty much exactly what I had to do.
When I open jars of the salt, it smells good, just not imparting any smoke onto they foods I'm putting it on.

Spreading it out on a screen will hopefully get me the results I'm looking for next time.

Reactions: one eyed jack
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky