Smoking on a weber kettle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Buckeye02

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 26, 2020
Ohio
So I've never cooked on a charcoal grill. I was kicking around the idea of picking up the 22" weber kettle. Then I started watching different videos on it. While I wouldnt be buying this to smoke on i have seen some guys doing it. So I guess my question for some experienced guys would be would the taste of that kind of smoke be comparable to an offset? I've only ever smoked on MES and a pellet cabinet smoker. I haven't wanted to buy a cheap offset to find out if I like the process or not and then decide to buy a better quality offset if i do. So with this setup in your opinion would it be similar enough to be able to make a decision on a offset smoker in the future? Thanks for any advice!

I have a 22 " performer and a 26 " . Love them both , and set up right they both smoke fantastic . Just did a couple racks of spare ribs .
Set my 26 up like this , Burned 8 hours at 250 / 260 .
20200517_090335.jpg
Ribs .
20200517_175703.jpg
Brisket
20191208_190519.jpg

Alright thanks guys. Those ribs and brisket look killer! I was looking at the master touch 22". Do you think that one would be OK? I won't be smoking or grilling on it much during the week due to time. So it'll probably only be used a few times a month

Be better than ok , you will like it . Get what you can afford , and enjoy . Fun to use , and makes great food . Keep us posted .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Love my performer, it has gas lighting, I have the charcoal bins with mine, I light them and put 1 on each side where the flipup grate is, then the rack of ribs goes in the middle, I also made a rack to smoke up a 2nd rack. I can add wood or charcoal during a cook very easy . it will be the last cooker to leave my house

I smoked for years with a Weber Kettle. The way Chopsaw has his 26 set up works just as good in a 22. Search for "weber snake method" on youtube, you will find lots of videos showing how to set it up in detail. I easily would get 10+ hour smoke times. You will love cooking on Kettle!

I smoked for years with a Weber Kettle. The way Chopsaw has his 26 set up works just as good in a 22. Search for "weber snake method" on youtube, you will find lots of videos showing how to set it up in detail. I easily would get 10+ hour smoke times. You will love cooking on Kettle!
Ive seen a few of the snake methods. Thank God for YouTube and forums lol

Love my performer, it has gas lighting, I have the charcoal bins with mine,
Yup . I was going to suggest getting a set of baskets . About 15 bucks new .
My Performer is 13 years old . This pics is from Last summer .
20190629_130555.jpg

I have a 22" with an offset charcoal pan. Love it, BIG time. Smoking some wings tomorrow, infact.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky