Smoking / dehydrating jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelbro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 22, 2009
N. Carolina
Can I use a device like an Amazn smoke tube alone for a couple of hours and then put the jerky in the dehydrator to get it to 150 for a couple of hours?

I can't manage really low temps in my Ugly Drum Smoker.

Would you be using the Amazn tube in a smoker at 150-160 temp for the first couple hours, then into the dehydrator?
I haven't tried the Amazn tube so I'm not sure what temp it can deliver. A little concerned about being under temp for a couple of hours.

So it sounds like you are considering using the Amazn tube for a couple hours without heat first and then into a dehydrator? If so, I would not do that.

If you want to use a smoker & dehydrator, after brining overnight, smoke at 150-160 for a couple hours and then into the dehydrator for 4+ hours at similar temps.

Reactions: Dave in AZ
So it sounds like you are considering using the Amazn tube for a couple hours without heat first and then into a dehydrator? If so, I would not do that.

If you want to use a smoker & dehydrator, after brining overnight, smoke at 150-160 for a couple hours and then into the dehydrator for 4+ hours at similar temps.
Thanks. Off temp meat definitely concerns me. I just wasn't sure how much heat those gadgets put out but I assumed that it wasn't enough. It seems like I'm going to have to figure out a way to run low temps in my UD smoker.

Another question...does smoked meat need cure?

If you use cure #1 in the brine then you can smoke the meat with just the smoke tube.
Interesting. Sounds like I need a little more education on jerky, cures and smoking. To date, I've been using the Backwoods kits and dehydrating at 160.

Are you saying that if I brine with cure, the smoking temps are not critical?

Thanks

Interesting. Sounds like I need a little more education on jerky, cures and smoking. To date, I've been using the Backwoods kits and dehydrating at 160.

Are you saying that if I brine with cure, the smoking temps are not critical?

Thanks
I know nothing about the Backwoods cures, don’t use them, but I do know how to safely cure meat.

All that said.

If you use cure #1 in the proper amount in the brine, then yes, then the smoke temperature is not critical at all, at least for a couple hours. Salt percentage is important also, but the cure is important.

Jerky is a really safe process. I’m not convinced you need cure #1 with whole muscle, but it’s a good addition. You can brine for 12-24 hours then pat dry and smoke for a couple hours then into the dehydrator at 150F to dry and finish in a few more hours. The safety hurdles of salt, cure #1 and temperature above pasteurization requirements and added drying (this is key) make jerky a very safe hobby and very easy for the average Joe to accomplish successfully. Cary on with little to no worries if you are using whole muscle slices. If you are grinding then forming the jerky out of a gun or whatever then absolutely make sure you apply cure #1 at .25% per meat weight.

Reactions: NefariousTrashMan
I know nothing about the Backwoods cures, don’t use them, but I do know how to safely cure meat.

All that said.

If you use cure #1 in the proper amount in the brine, then yes, then the smoke temperature is not critical at all, at least for a couple hours. Salt percentage is important also, but the cure is important.

Jerky is a really safe process. I’m not convinced you need cure #1 with whole muscle, but it’s a good addition. You can brine for 12-24 hours then pat dry and smoke for a couple hours then into the dehydrator at 150F to dry and finish in a few more hours. The safety hurdles of salt, cure #1 and temperature above pasteurization requirements and added drying (this is key) make jerky a very safe hobby and very easy for the average Joe to accomplish successfully. Cary on with little to no worries if you are using whole muscle slices. If you are grinding then forming the jerky out of a gun or whatever then absolutely make sure you apply cure #1 at .25% per meat weight.

Thanks for the additional info and yes, I'm using whole muscle. Top round and London broils sliced fairly thin. I tried the ground meat a few different ways and it's OK but was not my idea of jerky.

Thanks. Off temp meat definitely concerns me. I just wasn't sure how much heat those gadgets put out but I assumed that it wasn't enough. It seems like I'm going to have to figure out a way to run low temps in my UD smoker.

Another question...does smoked meat need cure?
No it doesn’t

You just need your water activity to be below where bad things grow. Which is .78**

Reactions: kelbro
Finally got the smoke tubes in. I'm going to give this a try. Cure/marinate my sliced London broil for 12 hrs or so. Set up the smoke tubes for two hrs and then into the dehydrator at 160 until it's ready.

All that said.

Sorry for cutting in, but I've been curious about using cure #1 when making jerky but am intimidated by it. Is it also known as pink salt or Prague powder? Is there anything to stear clear of when purchasing it? Can you recommend a brand and where to buy?
Again my apologies for being new.

Sorry for cutting in, but I've been curious about using cure #1 when making jerky but am intimidated by it. Is it also known as pink salt or Prague powder? Is there anything to stear clear of when purchasing it? Can you recommend a brand and where to buy?

I got mine at Academy Sports. Fiesta brand. I've seen it in the spice section at some grocery stores but not seeing it as frequent lately.

Last edited:
Yes pink salt and Prague powder are same as cure #1, just make sure to read the label and know that the mixture is 6.25% nitrite and 93.75% salt. That is the standard mix here in the USA and what we base our usage percentage on.

Suppliers are everywhere but “The sausage maker” “Craft butchers pantry”, “Butcher & Packer” all .com is where I buy most of my supplies but there is always Amazon as well, just check the label for nitrite content at 6.25% you do not want #2 which also contains nitrate.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky