Smoker/oven combo idea

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
Ok, I posted in this forum because I want to rebuild my fire box for my smokehouse to be dual purpose. I want to use it for smoking the smokehouse or damper that off and run it as an oven. This design works, but the design flaw is the pipe is rusting out.

You can see the existing fire box. I want to make it larger to support a larger oven above it. The idea is to arch the fire brick for the roof. Thought are I could perlite the sides for insulation, but just concrete the top to make the oven floor. Once heated it would radiate more heat. The oven would also ne part of my chimney to flavor the roast, chickens or what ever is cooking.

The green lines would be the smoke travel and the back of the oven could have a damper to make it so you can use the smokehouse. Maybe even just put a patio block over the top of the oven chimney.

Thoughts and ideas from the masons and people that have done any of this?
Smokehouse firebox ideas.jpg

Damn, no one has any ideas on suggestions?

I was thinking I could build a fire in the oven and small one in the fire box. Once the oven is hot in the oven shovel it out to below and use it to smoke it also while cooking.

That looks like it would work to me, but what temp are you trying to achieve in the oven? I don't know much about building an oven. I mean with meat you're probably not going to go above 400 degrees. After that you're basically grilling. Not sure how hot pizza is cooked but I would assume 400+. I'm not sure you'd want smoked pizza either.

350 or 375 I would think.

I would assume the top could be treated just like a pizza oven and fired separately to be used like a pizza oven or heated them then transfer the fire below. Maybe 1/4" plate I can slide over the hole as a damper to use the smokehouse.

What? People wouldn't eat smoked pizza? I am not sure I want to know these people.

I'm thinkin' .... for the concrete, check on adding perilite to the crete to allow for expansion so it "maybe" won't crack.. or add high temp gorilla hair... or use fire clay.... or try perforations around the crete lid for air flow... perforate the perimeter of the top with 1" holes using a hard foam for the plug forms...
I would make sure the FB lid was not attached so it could move with the heat..

Yea, this is a long term project. I want to do it, but got too much others stuff to do before winter. I am making another chicken coop to make a breeder flock to raise meaties and still got to process all the deer meat from last year. Got hot dogs, sausages and bologna to make. Want to try chorizo as fresh sausage but have not found any recipes that are strong and spicy enough for me.

I plan on making an inner fire brick dome and using what they call Home brew fire brick motor on the inside the oven. Not sure about insulation between the bottom or not. One way a fire in the bottom would keep the floor staying hot. I don't think it would cool to quickly if no fire was down there. I can just push all the fire down there.

Home brew fire brick motor
3 part fine sand
1 part hydrated lime
1 part portland cement
1 part fire clay

Then build the outside brick walls with standard S mortar and a air gap between the fire brick dome and wall. Then fill that with perlite with a mortar to bind it.

Last edited:
No not yet. This year has put all large expenditures of cash to an end and fire brick is expensive. I have yet to find a deal on cheap ones.

I plan for it to be two vaulted ovens on top of eachother.

Rob, evening.... Have you checked on Fire Clay to make you own brick ??
Or using "water glass"..(sodium silicate)

Last edited:
I looked up that heat cast 40 and it looks more expensive than buying fire brick.

I have been furloughed 2 out of 5 days a week and the wife can't find a job during this "crisis" so money is too tight this year to invest in something like this right now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky