Smoker cleaning/care

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Boardtowndawg

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 6, 2018
So I’ve been trying to clean the interior of my smoker a bit this evening. I bought some Krylon high heat spray paint that I used on the exterior to clean up a few rust spots. Would it be ok to scrape down the actual grates and use the same spray on them for some of the rust spots? I mean it will have plenty of time to dry overnight before I use it and my thought process is it was painted with something when I bought it. On the other hand should I just scrape off and grease down and let it rip?

Oil and high heat. DO NOT PAINT YOUR COOKING GRATES
10-4. That’s what I was thinking but wasn’t sure. So what do they use at the factory when they are making these things? It obviously has some kind of coating on it? Just wondering.

Reactions: TNJAKE
10-4. That’s what I was thinking but wasn’t sure. So what do they use at the factory when they are making these things? It obviously has some kind of coating on it? Just wondering.
In the factory with some smokers they use some non food safe grease but that's why they recommend a burn out at high temp. They never use paint though

Reactions: TH-n-PA
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky