Smoked venison back strap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

devilmutt

Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Well I thawed out a back strap and decided to try something diffrent with it. Usually my group wants it fried but I was itching to smoke. It came out so good, that I had to share.

Took a back strap, trimmed all silver skin off and cut in half

Then i layered some bacon on one side

next put the other half on top

Always good with a good coating of yellow mustard and a heavy coat of rub

Finally another layer of bacon on top and wrapped up snug with some butchers twine

Smokers warmed up n ready to go... MMMMMM smoky goodness

Smoked it at 215 till the internal temp was 150. Just right for that slight touch of pink that is so necessary for venison.

Let me tell y'all. It was so tender that ya could cut it with a fork. I will be hard pressed to ever fry another. Dang it... Done made myself hungry again!

Looks-Great.gif
i prefer smoked or grilled over fryed. i have deep fryed it whole. turned out good. but i guess i just like smoked better.

happy smoken.

david

That looks good. I did the tenderloin like that once and it turned out good. I like the idea of using the back strap makes me hungry looking at it...

looks great. was checking the site to find a smoke recipe for this. question, did you check the meat temp in the middle of the meat or basically in the middle were the bacon is?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky