Smoked Swedish Meatballs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

knifebld

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
Valleyfield, Quebec
So been with this group for over 5 years now and after all this time I've never bothered trying meatballs on the smoker...figured it was more trouble than it was worth. Boy was I wrong!

Anyhow, here's was I did;

For the meatballs I used
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion, peeled, grated
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 slices of bread, crusts removed, bread cut into cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 3/4 lbs ground pork
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Kerry Gold Aged Dubliner Cheese (Cubed)

Prep work;
- Placed the cubed bread in a large bowl and mixed in the milk, let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes, then shredded it with a fork
- Melted the butter in a pan and sautéed the grated onion for about 3-4 minutes
- Stirred in the milk bread mixture
- Added the egg, ground pork and beef, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and cardamom
- Mixed it all up and placed in the fridge while I got the WSM ready

Smokin'
- Made the meatballs and stuffed each one with a cube of cheese
- Smoker was set at 200
- Meatballs smoked for 2 hours with a little maple and apple

IMG_1777.jpg
IMG_1778.jpg
IMG_1779.jpg

The meatballs turned out fantastic, and the family absolutely loved them! They had that wonderful smokey flavour which added perfectly to the great taste.

Unfortunately my Swedish sauce was a little bland and so I will be searching for other recipes to marry up with these puppies!

Cheers!

Nice cook. Those meatballs look phenomenal! I do moinks which are bacon wrapped meatballs with smoked cheese in the middle glazed with bbq sauce but going to have to try yours out!

Reactions: JC in GB
They sure do look delicious! I’ve never made them, thanks for the receipe.

People bring them to parties and potlucks...but I like yours served over the noodles.

Nice cook. Those meatballs look phenomenal! I do moinks which are bacon wrapped meatballs with smoked cheese in the middle glazed with bbq sauce but going to have to try yours out!

Tahnks! Haven't tried Moinks yet...but I bet they would be tasty...like miniature fatties!

They sure do look delicious! I’ve never made them, thanks for the receipe.

People bring them to parties and potlucks...but I like yours served over the noodles.

Yeah I don't think I would change a thing for the meatballs...now gotta find a killer authentic Swedish sauce to go with it.

I've smoked several recipes of meatballs.

Never tried Swedish. Have to give that some thought. Liked your post and the spice blend. You're on to something there.

Knifebid, the meatballs look delicious! I hope you share your sauce recipe when you develop one you like.

Will do. I do have a Swedish woman working in human resources at the office...maybe I can score some great family recipe from her! lol

Man, those look delicious. I bet they would be good with some spaghetti sauce.

They most likely would...too bad there weren't any leftovers! Will have to make another batch. ;)

I've smoked several recipes of meatballs.

Never tried Swedish. Have to give that some thought. Liked your post and the spice blend. You're on to something there.

You know I rarely have to buy any spices cause I have just about every spice out there...but actually had to go out and buy Cardamom cause I had never used that before.

Those look great - as others have posted I've smoked meatballs for a variety of reasons - moinks, spaghetti, meatball grinders but haven't gone the Swedish route yet. Thanks for the idea.

Point for sure.
Chris

Just a note: If you ever do moinks add a slice of jalapeno with the cheese in the center of it.

Those look great - as others have posted I've smoked meatballs for a variety of reasons - moinks, spaghetti, meatball grinders but haven't gone the Swedish route yet. Thanks for the idea.

Just spent time searching the differences Moinks, pork-shots, and Meatball Grinders...so many options for this weekend I might just have to try them all!
Glad I was able to give you an idea this time round! ;) Cheers.

Reactions: JC in GB
I’ve never tried Swedish meatballs before but that’s going on the list to try. Recipe looks amazing

You know I rarely have to buy any spices cause I have just about every spice out there...but actually had to go out and buy Cardamom cause I had never used that before.
I have both green and black on hand.
Green is the (almost ripe and dried) seed pod and you can use the whole pod for sweet recipes (discard pod after extracting flavor).
Black is the ripe seeds only and mostly for savory recipes.
My mother used the black seeds from a green pod for spicing several Scandinavian Christmas cookies.
Cardamom looses the complex flavor very quickly after grinding.

Unground black Cardamom is often in the inedible seed pod and a pia to separate.
edits in italic.

Last edited:
I have both green and black on hand.
Green is the (almost ripe and dried) seed pod and you can use the whole pod for sweet recipes (discard pod after extracting flavor).
Black is the ripe seeds only and mostly for savory recipes. My mother used black for spicing several Scandinavian Christmas cookies.
Cardamom looses the complex flavor very quickly after grinding.

Yes I read that the're best when freshly ground...I didn't have a choice cause I couldn't find the pods. Makes me wonder how much better it would have been with freshly ground pods...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky