Smoked some cheese last night in the LG 900 w/cold smoke cabinet - lessons learned

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougCA

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 14, 2018
I am a bit late in the season to cold smoke cheese here in CA as it's still "chilly" at night but warming up. Last year I used an Amaze N tube in the cold smoke cabinet. This year I wanted to use the hopper and generate smoke w/o the tube. I started in the late evening when it was 55 out and set the temp to 180, the lowest. While it worked, the cabinet got too hot according to my Smoke even with an ice tray in it. It hit 90 pretty quickly and peaked at 104 or so. I shut down the smoker and put the tube in the main cabinet, but the smoke doesn't make it way into the side chamber too well without the fan circulating, so I ended up putting the tube in the cold smoke cabinet again and ran for 3 hours.

I'm wondering if this cold smoke cabinet isn't going to work too well for me here in So Cal. Even if it was in the 40's, the temp of the cabinet would still be borderline high. With the tube, it didn't get above 70.

With that said, this thread is worthless w/o pics so here you go.

Tillamook aged sharp cheddar (Black wrapper), TIllamook medium cheddar (Orange wrapper), Dutch Gouda, Kirkland medium cheddar, Kirkland Colby Jack.

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

I smoked about 5 lbs of assorted cheeses a week ago.
I repurposed my Charbroil gas grill with a smoke tube and no heat.
I am in N CA also and worked it early morning... Smoker Temp never got above 72'. The tube does add some heat. The ambient temp was around 65'.
The idea was to age it until Easter but we got into the Jack and the Mottzarella ... we had a lot of family over for a Pork Loin Smoke. It was good even at a week old.
Grilled a couple of pineapples too. YUM !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky