Smoked Scallops (and shrimp)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kurt boutin

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
Southern NH
Looking for a little direction here... I want to smoke these on my pellet smoker, but i'm not planning on searing and plan on seasoning with some Old Bay.

Need some advice on temp and for about how long?

TIA!

Looking for a little direction here... I want to smoke these on my pellet smoker, but i'm not planning on searing and plan on seasoning with some Old Bay.

Need some advice on temp and for about how long?

TIA!
Hot and fast. Otherwise they, the crustaceans, get rubbery. If you want a pronounced smoke then you have to cold smoke. Otherwise grill them to finish.

Reactions: JLeonard
Hot and fast. Otherwise they, the crustaceans, get rubbery. If you want a pronounced smoke then you have to cold smoke. Otherwise grill them to finish.
So, it's the hot and fast I may need some help with. How hot and (understanding that timing is a bit variable), approximately, how long?

So, it's the hot and fast I may need some help with. How hot and (understanding that timing is a bit variable), approximately, how long?

How long is a tough one. Depends on their placement to the heat source and how hot the grill is. If you're cooking more than a few scallops then put a skewer thru them(I use two skewers so they don't rotate on me). The skewer will make flipping the scallops much easier and quicker. Reducing your chances of overcooking them. They're done when the color goes from translucent to opaque. A minute or two on each side should do it for most scallops. Also don't forget to remove the foot if it's there. That can be kind of rubbery.

Chris

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I agree with Chris.
As far as time, it does depend on how hot the grill is but assuming we are at grilling temp, just a couple minutes per side is usually enough. Basically long enough to sear or imprint good grill marks then turn and do the same. Good seafood needs surprisingly little cook time, if to long, the texture of the meat suffers.

Crustaceans out of the shell cook fast and can be a little tricky but staying closer to rare than well done is the key. In the shell I watch for the color change. Once that orange to red color appears on the shell all over they are done. This applies to all form of cooking them.

I’d toss the old bay in the trash and wrap the scallops in bacon and smoke them that way. When the bacon is about cooked throw the shrimp on for a couple minutes. I always like to remove the shell and tail before cooking so I don’t have to mess with that when eating. A little SPOG and butter never hurt a shrimp I’ve consumed

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky