Smoked sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bob V.

Original poster
Dec 21, 2022
Does anyone have an opinion regarding how much BBQ rub to use for stuffing 5 lbs of ground pork.

hi Bob, and welcome to the forum from Minnesota. you might want to ask your question again in a different part of this forum. sausage making or pork areas. might get more and better responses

Hi Bob
Most smoked sausage uses cure #1 or sodium nitrite along with salt and seasonings.
Better to start with a purchased seasoning kit or a trusted recipe.
Welcome from Minnesota. Make that central Florida

B Bob V.
Will you be smoking or grilling the sausage? This will make a difference with choice of ingredients - specifically yes/no on cure#1.

A good starting point is to add about 2.5% salt+spice to meat, by weight. So 0.125lb (or 2 oz) of your bbq rub to 5 pounds meat. This does depend a bit on how much salt vs spice is in your rub though.

If it were me, I'd make a basic smoked kielbasa in advance. Then, to make it bbq, I'd slather it with sauce, grill, and serve.

Fueling Around Fueling Around
I'm blaming you for bringing the weather.

Recipe below (for 5 pounds of meat - all converted to grams).
This is based on the salt content listed on the label of Jeff's Original rub.
Note I've never used this recipe, but this is how I would proceed in this case. Feel free to use more or less salt depending on your preferences. Rubs have too much sugar to use for sausages without adding extra salt. perhaps others would disagree?

I strongly recommend using cure#1 (no less than 3.6g, no more than 5.7g for 5 pounds of meat). The final product will taste better, look nicer, and will be safer.

meat : 2268g
rub: 35g
salt (in rub): 3.1g
cure#1 (for 156ppm NaNO2): 5.7g
salt (in cure) 5.3g
salt (salt to add for total of 40g) 31.6g
water 227g

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
I wouldn't use a rub at all to flavor sausage, if that's what you're asking. Salt, sugar and spices are all weighed out according to the type of sausage you're trying to make. Cure#1 would also be added to a smoked sausage, but not necessary in fresh.

Reactions: Tinner340
I'm just flavoring ground pork to stuff and smoke indirect with pecan for an hour or two...until done...then eat.

I'm just flavoring ground pork to stuff and smoke indirect with pecan for an hour or two...until done...then eat.
I think what most are trying to say is that there are better fresh or smoked sausage seasonings out there than a commercial rub. Generally rubs are used for low and slow bbq (ribs, butts, etc..) or hot and fast cooks like steaks or chops. There are many great sausage seasoning recipes on this site or there are many brand name (LEM, P&S, etc ) that can be purchased. As said before, sugar laden rubs may not make the best sausage seasoning, and savory salt and pepper steak rubs may make a bland sausage. If you are going through the work to grind and stuff your pork, might as well use a seasoning worthy of eating

Reactions: DougE
I think what most are trying to say is that there are better fresh or smoked sausage seasonings out there than a commercial rub. Generally rubs are used for low and slow bbq (ribs, butts, etc..) or hot and fast cooks like steaks or chops. There are many great sausage seasoning recipes on this site or there are many brand name (LEM, P&S, etc ) that can be purchased. As said before, sugar laden rubs may not make the best sausage seasoning, and savory salt and pepper steak rubs may make a bland sausage. If you are going through the work to grind and stuff your pork, might as well use a seasoning worthy of eating

I think what most are trying to say is that there are better fresh or smoked sausage seasonings out there than a commercial rub.
I know that's what I'm saying. Dumping some rub into ground meat and stuffing it isn't the way to go about making sausage. It could work out ok, but maybe not. Why not start out with a good sausage recipe in the first place, if you're going to go through the trouble.

Reactions: Nodak21
I know that's what I'm saying. Dumping some rub into ground meat and stuffing it isn't the way to go about making sausage. It could work out ok, but maybe not. Why not start out with a good sausage recipe in the first place, if you're going to go through the trouble.
No trouble, no worries. There are roughly 8 or 10 core ingredients to a spice blend for pork, I use my chemistry background and taste sense to decide what to refine for the next go round ($0.60/lb is not much "trouble" to have the butcher mix and stuff 5 lbs for me. Happy Holidays.

Your start is to ask the butcher for advice on stuffing sausage with an unknown seasoning blend.
60¢ per pound over the cost of the ground pork should pay for some advice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky