Smoked red pepper flakes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
northern NJ
I have been thinking of trying to make some it will be a long process.you know smoking the peppers letting them sit for at 24 hours. cutting and putting into the dehydrator for a day or two. then chopping up.
What i'm wondering is have any of you done this and is it worth all the work?

I take mine all the way to dry in a MES 30 . Then grind fine for powder or course for flakes . This is a end of the year batch . 3 or 4 kinds of peppers in there . Makes great powder .
20180923_065518.jpg

I take mine all the way to dry in a MES 30 . Then grind fine for powder or course for flakes . This is a end of the year batch . 3 or 4 kinds of peppers in there . Makes great powder .
View attachment 404478

in the smoke the whole time and about how long.
i know there are a lot of variables i'm assuming that's at 225.
those look great.

Reactions: chopsaw
in the smoke the whole time and about how long
I ran smoke on a batch of jalapenos . About 30 peppers . I went a couple hours at first . My mes 30 is so well seasoned , I didn't need to add much smoke .

I had a bunch of peppers last year . I had the smoker running day and night for a full week drying peppers . 2 full racks of peppers in a mes 30 took about 3 days . I had bell , jalapeno , banana , poblano , anaheim and tabasco .
I'm not sure what I ran at , gonna guess around 225 or so . Slit the peppers .

• Wow
Reactions: Will Squared
I smoked up about 200 pounds of peppers this year. I find the end result to be much better than anything you can buy off the shelf. I smoke between 60-80F, several burns over three days depending the pepper and desired end result. I primarily make smoked paprika and chipotle. I also make a smoked cayenne. Chop small to make dehydration quicker and process in my wifes little ninja drink thing when shes not around.
cayenne.jpg

Last edited:
I smoked up about 200 pounds of peppers this year. I find the end result to be much better than anything you can buy off the shelf. I smoke between 60-80F, several burns over three days depending the pepper and desired end result. I primarily make smoked paprika and chipotle. I also make a smoked cayenne. Chop small to make dehydration quicker and process in my wifes little ninja drink thing when shes not around.View attachment 423792

Good lord man! I'm jealous! I really want to do this.

Reactions: Will Squared
I have a case (10 lb) of Anaheims ordered to pick up tomorrow at my Smart&Final.
I will do a case of Jalapenos next week. A case of J's is $6.50.

They sell over ripe bananas for $.30 a lb. I might do a load of them too.
I use a Masterbuilt 560.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky