Smoked Chicken Questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingn00b

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2006
Kenosha, WI
So I've just started smoking and I've done chicken twice. Both times however the chicken skin didn't taste good at all. Both times I had a premade rub on it, the second time I also rubbed some olive oil on it too. I've read your guys' posts about people picking the chicken to the bone because it was so good. I didn't feel that way about my chickens. They looked good but I don't think they tasted that great. Am I doing something wrong? I'm using a little Brinkman electric smoker, both times using dry woodchips in a pie tin. To me it seemed like the chips would only let a good amount of smoke off for the first 15 minutes they were on. Any help would be appreciated.

smokingn00b, about the only way to get an edible skin on the chicken is to smoke it with a chamber temp of 325-350 degrees. You need the higher temp to crisp up the skin. Another thing to try for more flavor short of brining or injecting the chicken is to apply some rub to the bird under the skin.

Okay, so the skin isn't supposed to taste good. That's good to know. Here I was eating it wondering what I did wrong. The rest of the chicken tastes pretty good. About the woodchips though, are they supposed to smoke quite a bit and then tail off? Will chunks give a more consistant smoke? Should I be soaking them and if so what's the proper way to soak them without getting them so wet they just sit and boil? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to absorb all the knowledge these boards have to offer.

Kyle, we welcome your questions, that is how we share and spread the knowledge.

About the woodchips though, are they supposed to smoke quite a bit and then tail off?
As the woodchips are consumed, the smoke will taper off. Then it's time to replentish the woodchips.

Will chunks give a more consistant smoke?
I find that I get about the same amount of smoke using chunks as I do using chips. I usually use 2-3 pieces that are about 3 in X 1 - 1 1/2 in. thick.

Should I be soaking them and if so what's the proper way to soak them without getting them so wet they just sit and boil?
Whither you soak your wood or not is a personnal preference. When I want a slower smoke, I will soak the wood beforehand (If you want a lot of smoke fast use dry chip/chunks). I place the chips in a water filled plastic bucket about an hour before my smoke session. I'll remove enough chips to fill my wood box and I'll shake as much water out of the wood as possible before placing them in the box.

Hope this helps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky