Slicer recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Yeah, it is actually amazing. I've been sharpening knives since I was a boy, using a whetstone, steel, etc. I've also used all sorts of specialized sharpeners, like the overrated (IMHO) "Chef's Choice" that my wife got for me twenty years ago.

Then, my future son-in-law brought over his Work Sharp, Ken Onion Edition. He has a huge knife collection, and sharpens them obsessively. I spent an evening sharpening all my kitchen knives, and the difference was not subtle at all: every knife had a substantially better edge than it had when new, and cutting was suddenly a completely different experience.

I am totally blown away by this tool and cannot recommend it enough. The only downside is that, like many tools, it does have a learning curve, but there are dozens of YouTube videos that will help you figure it out. In my case, I had my son-in-law-to-be.
I agree,  Works Sharp is great. There's no way to use it on my ChefChoice 630 slicer because it does not have a removable thickness guide. But if yours is removable, I suppose you could hold it freehand against the rotating blade - just figure out a way to hold it at the correct angle. Slicer blades are only sharpened on the back side, then deburred on the front.

I agree,  Works Sharp is great. There's no way to use it on my ChefChoice 630 slicer because it does not have a removable thickness guide. But if yours is removable, I suppose you could hold it freehand against the rotating blade - just figure out a way to hold it at the correct angle. Slicer blades are only sharpened on the back side, then deburred on the front.
Thanks. Your description is similar to the Work Sharp directions for sharpening most serrated knives.

I would not recommend using that I have cut proof gloves and it is not worth the risk.

Richie
I've now received several responses from the Work Sharp people, as well as their dealers, and they are not recommended it either, although not for any safety reason. Chef's Choice does sell a sharpener, and it too has some risks, since the blade is exposed as it rotates through the sharpener.

It's not a bad slicer for the money I'm not a fan of the plastic gear but as far as slicing that thing makes short work of 10 or 20 lbs of bacon

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky