size matters? 18"vs 22"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
hey Y'all
So I got a butt on my resurrected garage sale Akorn. been chasing temps all morning. I think I could live with it after all the mods I did including lid mod and new fire bowl.
got permission from the boss/bookkeeper to get a ceramic so i listed the Akorn on marketplace. I'm looking at the KJoe IMG-2775.jpg classic (18") and the same size Lifestyle at Brandsmart where i can see it before i buy it.
I'm also a big fan of interest free financing. So the age old question. Am I going to be wishing i had 3-4 more inches? 18"vs 22".
I have a good size offset OKJ if i need it. I'm just liking the results some buddies are getting with really long smokes on their ceramics.
thanks
john

Go bigger than what you think you’ll need. Made the mistake on my first smoker. (Mes30) regrettted not getting the 40. And the difference between 18 and 22 would be trimming ribs, brisket and just not having whatever room you want.

I had to cut a chunk off the flat of a packer brisket last weekend because it didn’t quite fit on my WSM 18. With the quality build of the Kamado, it is going to last many years. I agree with the others and would recommend going bigger with the 22”

How many do you usually cook for? The Classic will handle enough for 5, or 6 , easily in a pinch but if you usually cook for that many and could also use extra capacity for special occasions, then spend the extra for the Big Joe. I have had my BJ for many years now and I have never regretted getting it. Most of my cooks are just for the 2 of us, which I can use just half of the BJ for but I have a large extended family and almost all family Birthdays and Holidays end up at my house. I sometimes have my BJ, Timberline 1300, Akorn Jr and my Camp Chef flat top all going at the same time, too feed my family when they are all here. Get the largest size you think you will ever need and you will not be sorry. The thing about getting the larger size is you can still do small cooks on it, it just takes a little more lump but not much. Unfortunately you just can't do real large cooks on a smaller grill.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky