Seasoning the new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Markus2982

Original poster
Mar 31, 2020
Finally got to season the new offset yesterday. The only "mods" I did to this were making a charcoal basket and turning the fire box grate 90 degrees.

With my kettle I would use a full chimney of carcoal to start out. Already learned I cant do that since my cook chamber got to like 450. The only real leaks I noticed were around the lids.

Attachments

• 20200406_125554.jpg
    20200406_125554.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 35
My last couple of cooks on my SQ36 I used zero charcoal, started up some hickory splits with my weed burner torch and let that burn down to a coal bed. What are you starting off with for meat, and what wood are you going to burn? Take some pictures and post them up, good luck! RAY

My last couple of cooks on my SQ36 I used zero charcoal, started up some hickory splits with my weed burner torch and let that burn down to a coal bed. What are you starting off with for meat, and what wood are you going to burn? Take some pictures and post them up, good luck! RAY
Right now I have a whole chicken ready to throw one when I have a day off on Thursday. Wanted to do a pork butt but couldn't find any. Usually for poultry I prefer apple wood but only have hickory right now.

I like apple for yardbirds too, tho I usually do those on my weber kettle. Butts and ribs on the offset it's always hickory or oak. Doing a corned beef on my kettle right now with the new Slow-n-Sear and a couple of apple chunks, that thing's a miracle, 225º-230º steady. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky