Seasoning and spices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Biggy1

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 5, 2019
Houston Texas
10 lbs. Pork shoulder = 80 grams of Kosher salt, course black pepper = ?, mustard seeds =?, granulated garlic =?, marjoram =? Water =?,NFDM=? Now Ya'll fill in the question marks that Ya'll would add. Just to see how close I am.

If I was making Kielbasa with 10lbs of Pork shoulder, I would add:
course black pepper = 12.5,
mustard seeds =0,
granulated garlic =20.4,
marjoram =0, but you can add 13.6 if you like
Water =450 ml,
NFDM=0.
I would also add 10.2 grams of Cure 1 and only 72.6 grams Kosher salt.

It seems maybe like you are making Ring Bologna? If that is the case I would
Cure 1 = 11.4
Kosher salt = 72.6 grams
course black pepper = 16,
mustard seeds =13.6,
granulated garlic =18.2,
marjoram =0, but you can add 13.6 if you like
Water =227 ml
NFDM=0
I would also add
Brown Sugar = 36.3
Onion powder = 11.5

If you are smoking them you need to add cure 1. I would not add mustard or NFDM. Mustard is great to add to Brats but not a fan of it in my Kielbasa

Reactions: Biggy1
10 lbs. Pork shoulder = 80 grams of Kosher salt, course black pepper = ?, mustard seeds =?, granulated garlic =?, marjoram =? Water =?,NFDM=? Now Ya'll fill in the question marks that Ya'll would add. Just to see how close I am.

CBP= 10~12.5g
mustard seed= 1~1.5 tsp.
granulated garlic= 5~8g
marjoram= variable....depends on if dry or fresh and potency of the herb....if fresh it can be strong, while if dry and aged 6+months, it can weaken.
NFDM= 2.5~3% by weight

I agree with shannon on adding cure #1 and reducing salt...

CBP= 10~12.5g
mustard seed= 1~1.5 tsp.
granulated garlic= 5~8g
marjoram= variable....depends on if dry or fresh and potency of the herb....if fresh it can be strong, while if dry and aged 6+months, it can weaken.
NFDM= 2.5~3% by weight

I agree with shannon on adding cure #1 and reducing salt...
Thanks Indaswamp !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky