Searing on a Traeger

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adamrappy

Original poster
Jul 29, 2020
Greetings all -

Bought a Traeger a few weeks ago and I am completely hooked on it. So far have grilled mostly steaks, brats, burgers, fish.... My kids brought home some salmon from an Alaska fishing trip recently and I smoked a few of the filets and made a maple brown sugar jerky out of the rest. There was enough jerky for a week but it didnt last more then 3 days.

Love the pellet stove but missing the sear. I have tried the reverse searing techniques for some of the steaks I got, (mostly ribeye). The steaks were great, absolutely awesome but the sear was weak. My Traeger seems to max out at about 435.

I have been considering the grates and have read about them on some posts in this forum. I have also been considering the sear daddy as well. It "seems" like the sear daddy can be attached to the fire pot of the Traeger but I am hoping to find someone that has done it.

Also if anyone here has tried the cold smoke product. I saw a video online about a guy that added the smoke-daddy cold smoke to his Traeger and it has peaked my interest. I love my Traeger but at high temps it doesnt produce much smoke.

This stuff is like a drug... all i want to do is cook and eat now.

I have a Camp Chef Woodwind WiFi 24; and my 2 best buddies have Traegers. We all use GrillGrates for searing; and are very happy with the results.
Depending on how hot you are cooking GrillGrates will add up to 100 or more degrees to the surface temperature; as well as adding infrared energy. So, at 400 degrees on my grill thermometer the GrillGrates will be at approximately 500+ degrees.
I use them to grill hamburgers, steaks, and fish. My wife loves the super grill marks.
Take them out when smoking ribs, pork butts and other items that use lower cooking temps.
If you order them be sure to order the correct size for your grill .... otherwise they will not work (as) well.
GA Tom

Reactions: Basco
Disclaimer - I spent most of yesterday reading posts on this site. It made me very very hungry. I am a complete novice compared to most all of you.

When I was watching a bunch of reverse searing videos on you tube I noticed that the guys would slow cook the steaks, then once they reached about 107 they would pull them off, put on the grates, crank up the heat then wait until the grates heated up and sear them

Thank you for the feedback GA Tom! One vote for grill grates.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky